Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Sending vpls broadcast packets over static LSP

Posted 08-14-2012 00:44

HI

I posted a question in j-nsp forum. It is here:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2012-August/023853.html

In short, I'd like to know if a pure static LSP (i.e. an LSP without RSVP signal) can be used to flood broadcast packets to VPLS peers.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Sending vpls broadcast packets over static LSP

Posted 08-14-2012 01:27

Hi,

Sure. Vpls service only needs lsp to peer.. Does not care if it is static, ldp or rsvp signalled.

Regards,

Artur

• 3.  RE: Sending vpls broadcast packets over static LSP

Posted 08-14-2012 18:21

Thanks for the reply. Note that

i. this is an LSP used for broadcast traffic only

ii. It is configured under "rsvp-te" like below:

> bala at MX240# show routing-instances slsp-vpls
    > instance-type vpls;
    > interface ge-1/1/9.0;
    > provider-tunnel {
    >    rsvp-te {
    >        static-lsp slsp3;
    >    }
    > }

Given the above, will "static LSP" (non RSVP signaled) should work for the above use as well ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Sending vpls broadcast packets over static LSP

Posted 08-15-2012 00:07

Hi,

No problem. To flood BUM traffic using p2mp lsp - as I guess this is Your target - it is possible to use static lsp. Below the fragment from Juniper docs:

The point-to-multipoint LSP used for VPLS flooding can be either static or dynamic. In either case, for each VPLS routing instance, the PE router creates a dedicated point-to-multipoint LSP. All of the neighbors of the VPLS routing instance are added to the point-to-multipoint LSP when the feature is enabled. If there are n PE routers in the VPLS routing instance, n point-to-multipoint LSPs are created in the network where each PE router is the root of the point-to-multipoint tree and includes the rest of the n – 1 PE routers as leaf nodes. If you configured static point-to-multipoint LSPs for flooding, any additional VPLS neighbors added to the routing instance later are not automatically added to the point-to-multipoint LSP. You will need to manually add the new VPLS neighbors to the static point-to-multipoint flooding LSP. If you configure dynamic point-to-multipoint LSPs, whenever VPLS discovers a new neighbor through BGP, a sub-LSP for this neighbor is added to the point-to-multipoint LSP for the routing instance.

Regards,

Artur

• 5.  RE: Sending vpls broadcast packets over static LSP

Posted 08-15-2012 19:38

Artur, thanks again. Yes I read the docs before starting off trying this. One thing I'm not clear is when it says "LSP" does it really mean "RSVP signaled LSP". The reason is I believe you could either

i. statically create an RSVP signaled p2mp LSP (i.e. your root, leaves are all specified)

ii. let system dynamically create an RSVP signaled p2mp LSP

So reading that section of docs, does it mean "LSP" to be only "RSVP signaled LSP" ?

brgds

• 6.  RE: Sending vpls broadcast packets over static LSP
    Best Answer

Posted 08-18-2012 08:31

Hi,

I got what You mean now. Diving in some posts and docs it really looks like using p2mp lsp You must rely on rsvp only. Personally never tried to do it using ldp. There are some rumours aboy a draft describing it but not any further information.

Regards,

Artur