Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Static route taking precedance over vlan connected interfaces

Posted 09-30-2015 13:29

Hello all...first let me say..I'm a newbie to Junos...and find myself in school capus full of Juniper gear!

I have a situation where a 3300 (Maint switch lets call it )is uplinked to a core switch ...ex4300.

What's happening is there's a routing loop berween 10.1.1.41 and 10.1.1.42 (routed Ae interfaces between the 2 switches) whentrying to reach an access point on the maint router - the AP IP is 10.9.20.14

There's a default satic router on the Maint switch - pointing to the Core x.41) w 10 or so rip routes present. The main router doesn not have all the thousand plus routes that the core does and that's fine- only one way out, and that's via the core. So the questions is traffic destine to the 10.9.20.0 network sent back to the core router via the static route, which sends it rigth back to the Maint switch. In the Ciso world, I don;t see this behavior- the connected interfaces always take precenecne over a static route. 

Actually...I'm seeing that the vlan interface is down - nothing in the arp table for that network

vlan.920 up down inet 10.9.20.1/24

this may be the reason now that I type this! Since there's no interface to route to!

Anyway......any input\clearification would be great......and also, if i wanted to....how would I advertise all the rip learned routes, attached vlan interfaces etc to the Main switch from the core? I know RIP is different in Junos as compared to cisco.

Rip is configured as such.

Config on Maintenance router  10.1.1.42

policy-options {
    policy-statement rip_export {
    term connected {
    from protocol direct;
    then accept;

protocols {
    rip {
    group ths {
    export rip_export;
    neighbor ae0.0;
    }
    }

Static route in addition to the rip routes

set routing-options static route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 10.1.1.41    .41 is the core router

Interfaces on Maint router  10.1.1.41

show interfaces terse | match inet
    ae0.0 up up inet 10.1.1.42/30
    bme0.32768 up up inet 128.0.0.1/2
    lo0.16384 up up inet 127.0.0.1 --> 0/0
    me0.0 up down inet
    vlan.0 up down inet
    vlan.90 up up inet 10.9.0.1/24
    vlan.91 up down inet 10.9.1.1/24
    vlan.92 up up inet 10.9.2.1/24
    vlan.98 up down inet 10.9.8.1/24
    vlan.910 up up inet 10.9.10.1/24
    vlan.920 up down inet 10.9.20.1/24
    vlan.930 up down inet 10.9.30.1/24

Core router config

policy-statement rip_export {
    term connected {
    from protocol direct;
    then accept;
    }
    term static {
    from protocol static;
    then accept;
    }
    term default {
    then reject;
    }
    }

root@Upper_School_Core> show configuration protocols rip
    group ths {
    export rip_export;
    neighbor ae0.0;
    neighbor ae9.0;
    neighbor ae10.0;
    }

• 2.  RE: Static route taking precedance over vlan connected interfaces
    Best Answer

Posted 10-01-2015 00:23

The RVIs(the vlan interfaces) are down because there are no up interfaces part of the vlans for which the RVIs were created.

First fix this before you move further with the troubleshooting.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.