Routing
Visitor
Mahmoud

TX Matrix Performance in Reality

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Most vendors when giving performance related numbers, they do calculations and come up with numbers that appear big, for sake of marketing. They are politically correct, however the figures are many times shocking for customers when practically" monitoring the performance. Customers need to be educated about how these calculations are done and the way they effect practical performance.

So, the TX Matrix. It can go up to 2.56Tbps (with four T640s), as the website says. How did juniper come up with these numbers?

I know that 2.56Tbps is brought by 4*640. However, I'd like to get more info, by which I can get a better idea about its performance in reality.

Huawei's figures are close to Juniper's. They claim 2.56. Cisco's claims are that their solution can do 92Tbps (72 of CRS-1 16 slot). I'm not sure if any of these numbers are blocking or non-blocking situations.

Now, I'm being left facing these numbers, and yet not aware of the truth behind truth. By comparing numbers, CRS-1 seems better scalable than both Juniper and Huawei. However, these figures can be very tricky and I would be really thankful if any one clarifies how are these numbers brought up, and how could they effect the real life deployment.

P.s. This is not box vs. box discussion. Each one has its pros and cons. Performance is not the only tiebreaker. The point is to discuss the performance in reality compared to what officially being stated by having deeper knowledge with regards of these numbers.

Kind regards,

Mahmoud

Message Edited by Mahmoud on 04-24-2008 07:17 PM
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.