Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  UDP being dropped across vlans

Posted 11-02-2015 12:06

Guys...new to Junos.....and have situation where we have these wireless power switches that need to communicate with a control app located on another vlan. It seems the required UDP traffic is not getting there,,,because when on the same vlan, it works fine.  So my question is firstly, UDP would not be dropped by default right? And if it's a broadcast, it would certainly be dropped. So how would I insure the UDP traffic would be passed to my controller pc on a different subnet\vlan? Would simply adding the pc to our already existing dhcp-relay server group do the trick? I'm not sure what udp ports that opens up by default besides dhcp itself. 

Anyway.... appreciate any help .....Dennis

EX4300

EX3300

• 2.  RE: UDP being dropped across vlans
    Best Answer

Posted 11-03-2015 05:11

Where is the gateway between the two subnets?

If this is a RVI on the switch, then there is nothing that would stop the communications.

If the gateway is an SRX then a security policy needs to be in place for the traffic to pass based on the ip addresses and ports involved.

• 3.  RE: UDP being dropped across vlans

Posted 11-17-2015 17:47

Thanks for confirming Steve..... it's been sorted. The traffic indeed passes between vlans as you stated.....being unicast udp.