Routing

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  VPLS Design

Posted 03-20-2011 01:26

Hi Experts

One of my PE (MX80) is connected to CE (EX4200) switch and VPLS instance is configured for this CE on PE. The EX4200 is connected to the PE via trunk link having 10 VLANS. I want to carry these 10 VLANS from this VPLS instance to remote PE VPLS instance.

My quesiton is that how to bind remote site ID to these 10 VLANS? becuase by default remote site ID is bind to the local interfaces with VLAN ID in the VPLS in order. What is the scalible solution for this scenario that multiple logical interfaces with VLAND ID has to bind with remote site ID?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: VPLS Design
    Best Answer

Posted 03-20-2011 08:41

Hi,

interfaces ge-1/0/0 { flexible-vlan-services; flexible-vlan-tagging; unit 1 { encapsulation vlan-vpls; vlan-id-range 10-19; } }
    routing-instances { customer-c1-v1-to-v1000 { instance-type vpls; vlan-id all; # Note the use of the VLAN id all statement interface ge-1/0/0.1; }
    https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/mx-solutions-guide/one-vpls-instance-for-several-vlans.html
    Please also consider limitations (e.g. you cannot use IRB with this approach).
    Kind Regards Michael Pergament

• 3.  RE: VPLS Design

Posted 03-20-2011 23:20

Hi

Thanks for the reply. But I could not get what is the purpose of flexible-vlan-services?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: VPLS Design

Posted 03-21-2011 02:07

Hi,

you can run multiple services (see config sniplet below) on the same phy interface but on different VLANs (VPLS, xSTP, L3 VPN, CCC, L2 VPN etc). flexible-ethernet-services allows you for that.

ae1 {
            flexible-vlan-tagging;
            encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
            aggregated-ether-options {
                minimum-links 1;
                link-speed 1g;
            }
            unit 0 {
                encapsulation vlan-ccc;
                vlan-id 103;
                output-vlan-map swap;
            }
            unit 1 {
                encapsulation vlan-bridge;
                vlan-id-range 1000-2000;
            }
            unit 2 {
                encapsulation vlan-bridge;
                vlan-id 101;
            }
            unit 3 {
                encapsulation vlan-ccc;
                vlan-id-range 2500-2800;
                input-vlan-map {
                    swap;
                    vlan-id 2700;
                }
            }
            unit 4 {
                encapsulation vlan-vpls;
                vlan-id-range 3000-3100;
            }
            unit 5 {
                encapsulation vlan-vpls;
                vlan-id-range 3200-3300;
            }
        }

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

• 5.  RE: VPLS Design

Posted 03-21-2011 07:59

Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply. Actually my question was what is flexible-vlan-services not flexible-ethernet-services?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: VPLS Design

Posted 03-21-2011 08:23

Hello,

well I do not know :). It seems to be a typo in a manual. This command is definitely not available with 10.4 and I am not sure whether it was available any time in the past (I never used it in the past)....

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament