Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  VPLS Instance parameters

Posted 03-20-2011 01:28

Hi Experts

on MX80, in the VPLS instance what are the below paramters:

1- vlan-id all

2- no-tunnel-services

Thanks

• 2.  RE: VPLS Instance parameters
    Best Answer

Posted 03-20-2011 08:37

Hi,

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/mx-solutions-guide/one-vpls-instance-for-several-vlans.html

The vlan-id all statement implicitly creates multiple learning domains, each with its own normalized VLAN.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-vpns/configuring-vpls-without-a-tunnel-services-pic.html

VPLS normally uses a dynamic virtual tunnel logical interface on a Tunnel Services PIC to model traffic from a remote site (a site on a remote PE router that is in a VPLS domain). All traffic coming from a remote site is treated as coming in over the virtual port representing this remote site, for the purposes of Ethernet flooding, forwarding, and learning. An MPLS lookup based on the inner VPN label is done on a PE router. The label is stripped and the Layer 2 Ethernet frame contained within is forwarded to a Tunnel Services PIC. The PIC loops back the packet and then a lookup based on Ethernet MAC addresses is completed. This approach requires that the router have a Tunnel Services PIC and that the PE router completes two protocol lookups.

You can configure VPLS without a Tunnel Services PIC. To do so, you use a label-switched interface (LSI) to provide VPLS functionality. An LSI MPLS label is used as the inner label for VPLS. This label maps to a VPLS routing instance. On the PE router, the LSI label is stripped and then mapped to a logical LSI interface. The Layer 2 Ethernet frame is then forwarded using the LSI interface to the correct VPLS routing instance.

By default, VPLS requires a Tunnel Services PIC. To configure VPLS on a router without a Tunnel Services PIC, include the no-tunnel-services statement

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

• 3.  RE: VPLS Instance parameters

Posted 03-20-2011 23:33

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Actually I did not get why we need to put vlan-id or vlan-id all command in the VPLS instance. I saw examples on Juniper website for carrying one VLAN to remote sites and also in Advanced VPN course I did not get this parameter under the VPLS instance. So if VLAN under the VPLS instance is more than one then we need to configure vlan-id parameter?

• 4.  RE: VPLS Instance parameters

Posted 03-21-2011 02:03

Hi,

you probably talking about port-based VPLS where ALL vlans (on phy port belonging to VPLS instance) are carried over single VPLS instance. In my previous example ALL vlans on single LOGICAL interface (just 10 vlans) are carried over same VPLS instance.

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

• 5.  RE: VPLS Instance parameters

Posted 03-21-2011 12:18

Hi

Thanks for reply. Actually I am confused that in the VPLS, vlan-id has to be specified? its mandatory?