Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Virtual JunOS

Posted 05-22-2012 14:49

I've been waiting for the Juniper virtual router to come out.  I had heard it was coming out in February and I haven't heard anything since.

In the meantime, I have been playing with a virtual router from Vyatta.  Basically, the Vyatta virtual router is an AMI instance in the Amazon Cloud, and I have a subcription with Vyatta.  It works OK, and the OS is very JunOS-like.  The way it works is I launch a Vyatta instance in my Amazon account and I configure it just like any other router.

So I was wondering if anyone has any information on a Juniper virtual router that would be the answer to something like this.   Please forward any information and links.

Thank you.

#cloud
    #router
    #VM

• 2.  RE: Virtual JunOS

Posted 05-22-2012 16:22

Im not sure if you talk about Junosphere, this is a virtual system for testing and practice. Any way you could also use the Olive, but this is not supported by Juniper.

This is the link to Junosphere.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/software/junos-platform/junosphere/

• 3.  RE: Virtual JunOS

Posted 05-22-2012 18:30

At first glance, Junospheres looks more like a virtual testing ground, and not a deployable product that can be launched and run on a real operational network.  Am I wrong?

Olive is an interesting option.  I don't know much about it, I always thought it was unlicensed software, and that may not fly with my network if it is used on an operational network.  I may try it for kicks anyway just to see if I can "load" it on a virtual server in my Amazon cloud account, just to see if it works.

So if I'm right about Junosphere, then Juniper does not have a VM router product yet, do they?

• 4.  RE: Virtual JunOS
    Best Answer

Posted 05-23-2012 00:10

There is many features that are hw dependent. I think that Juniper dont have virtual products, if you need a router, then near sure you will have to buy the hw.

Like Junosphere, Olive is used often for practice, testing, study. Of course you need legaly own Junos but this is not a Juniper product, and is not recognized.

• 5.  RE: Virtual JunOS

Posted 05-23-2012 05:28

Thanks!  and Kudos!!

• 6.  RE: Virtual JunOS

Posted 05-24-2012 03:34

Talk to your Juniper SE 🙂