Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  different protocol on same router

Posted 06-22-2011 22:37

hi expert

i have two remote side  and one central side . on central srx650 i want to configure bgp and ospf . two remote side,on   one side i want to confiugre osfp and another remote side i want to configure bgp . is it support srx650 or is possible ?  please advice me.

Network is Layer connectivity.

R1 (BGP)------------central router(BGP@ospf)---------------R2(ospf)

thanks

Maung

• 2.  RE: different protocol on same router

Posted 06-22-2011 23:05

Yes, it's possible.

You'll have to apply policy on BGP peer R1 in order to export OSPF learned routes from R2 and on othe OSPF you'll have to apply an export policy in order to export BGP learned routes from R1 to OSPF. As simple as this.

• 3.  RE: different protocol on same router
    Best Answer

Posted 06-23-2011 06:07

Hi Maung,

In theory it is very easy: just configure on your central router a routing instance, then under that instance's 'protocol' stanza, both OSPF and BGP.

You will need also a policy which redistributes between those two protocols.

However, in practice you need to be extremely careful not to distribute 'too many routes' - especially into OSPF, every prefix you send will be seen as a type-5, and you really risk running out of memory very fast.

My advice is, just advertise a default and maybe your internal routes, if you have more than one way out for each branch office, or if you want to let your branch office set up their own Internet connectivity, and use the central office only as an internet-backup or to get to your intranet.

On the central office itself, then, your configuration will be something like this:

[edit routing-instances]

central_office {
        routing-options {
            aggregate {
                route 0.0.0.0/0;
            }
        }
        protocols {
            bgp {
                export export-default;
            }
            ospf {
                export export-default;
            }
        }
    }

[edit policy_options]

policy-statement export-default {
        term 1 {
            from {
                prefix-list intranet-routes;
            }
            then accept;
        }
        term 2 {
            from {
                protocol aggregate;
                route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 exact;
            }
            then accept;
        }

term 3 {
            then reject;
        }
    }

Term 1 may or may not be there, and there is lots of scope for optimization..I do not know how you plan to generate your intranet routes. If your addressing plan is nice and clean, adding just another aggregate will do the trick.

Still, that is the idea!

Let me know if this helps!

Saverio

• 4.  RE: different protocol on same router

Posted 06-23-2011 22:22

hi Saverio

Many many thanks. i will apply this configuration  then i will post you.

thanks

Maung

• 5.  RE: different protocol on same router

Posted 07-06-2011 02:26

Saverio,

In your comment "However, in practice you need to be extremely careful not to distribute 'too many routes' - especially into OSPF, every prefix you send will be seen as a type-5, and you really risk running out of memory very fast." are you implying type-5 LSAs take up more memory than, say, type-1 or -2 LSAs?

jslaven

• 6.  RE: different protocol on same router

Posted 07-07-2011 04:20

> are you implying type-5 LSAs take up more memory than, say, type-1 or -2 LSAs?

Hi jslaven,

Not at all. I am just saying two things:

- every prefix you redistribute into OSPF will translate to an additional type-5 in your DB.

- Because of this, careless OSPF redistribution can bring the whole OSPF domain to its knee (remember type-5 have domain scope, they don't stop on area boundary).

BGP is much more capable of handling huge amounts of routes (it is designed for this), that is the reason why I (of the two protocols) warned about OSPF in particular.

I hope it helps..

Saverio