Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted

Posted 03-30-2015 01:20

Hi team,

am having strange issue with one of our juniper routers (j2320). the router hangs and drops all connections after every 10min and cant be access even via console.after physical reboot, the router wakes up and all protocals (ISIS, IBGP) comes up and we have remote access even. what could be the issue?? i am wondering why we are loosing console access after it hangs.

Regard

Sheeel.

• 2.  RE: juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted

Posted 03-30-2015 02:32

can you look at the log files on the system to see what the logs tell you at the moment of a crash  ?

and have a look when you have access again at the core files

show system core-dumps

• 3.  RE: juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted

Posted 03-30-2015 04:07

this is what i see after show system core-dumps

root@J2320> show system core-dumps
    /var/crash/*core*: No such file or directory
    -rw-rw---- 1 root wheel 13936202 May 6 2014 /var/tmp/flowd_hm.core.0.gz
    /var/tmp/pics/*core*: No such file or directory
    /var/crash/kernel.*: No such file or directory
    /tftpboot/corefiles/*core*: No such file or directory
    total 1

anything strange there?

Regards,

Sheeel.

• 4.  RE: juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted

Posted 03-30-2015 05:11

Then their are no core files generated at the moment your J series Router crashed.

please check the logs, the parts to look at are the last "hour" / Minutes before the system Hanges / crashed

• 5.  RE: juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted

Posted 03-30-2015 05:21

You may also want to check and see if there are any unusual packet storms occurring on your network or that something is not maliciously targeting your router.  Without crash or core dumps, it could be that your routing engine is spending all its resources responding to exception traffic.  Are there any switching modules in this router or is it plugged into a switch which may be experiencing a broadcast storm?

• 6.  RE: juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted
    Best Answer

Posted 03-30-2015 07:42

Hi everybody,

I found the issue. it was related to memeory. the router was receiving internet routes (roughly 500k ) from one of

our peering router by accident and it was runing out of memory to process.

just deactived the BGP routes it was receiving and is now behaving.  

If i check how long it has been receiving the routes, its close to 3 months. i dont know why it just run out of memory today.

anybody got a clue why it run out of memory now??

Regards,

Sheeel.

• 7.  RE: juniper j2320 cant be accessed even on console unless rebooted

Posted 03-30-2015 08:29

Hi,

The global routing table is continously growing, sometimes with 2 new entry's a day sometimes with a lot more. At somepoint the table will be to big to fit into your memory. At this moment the table is getting to big to fit into the memory of your J2320. You can ask your provider to only send you a default route. This will solve the problem, or you need to add more memory into your J series router.