Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  no-decrement-ttl

Posted 11-28-2012 05:15

when I enable this in ingress route,it is fine when I run tracroute from outside,it see the whole lsp as one single hop

but when I run traceroute in this ingress route,something interesting happens ,I saw 2 same egress ip display in the screen

why?

I only found this in  juniper site:When you use traceroute to diagnose problems with an LSP from outside that LSP, traceroute sees the ingress router, although the egress router performs the TTL decrement. The behavior of traceroute is different if it is initiated from the ingress router of the LSP. In this case, the egress router would be the first router to respond to traceroute.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.3/topics/reference/configuration-statement/no-decrement-ttl-edit-protocols-mpls.html?searchid=1354104137128

but it doesn't tell me why there 2 same egress ip displayed in screen when running traceroute

• 2.  RE: no-decrement-ttl

Posted 11-28-2012 14:40

Hi Rob,

Ideally this shouldn't be the case. Can you please provide me your topology and the configs?

Regards

Surya

• 3.  RE: no-decrement-ttl

Posted 11-28-2012 22:35

what is the expected behavior in ingress router and in other router outside of the lsp?

• 4.  RE: no-decrement-ttl
    Best Answer

Posted 11-30-2012 13:36

Hi Rob,

Both ingress and the outside router should see it as a single hop for LSP path i.e. both traceroute output should show only one LER address.

+---+ .1              .2 +----+ .1          .2 +----+.1          .2 +----+.1           .2 +---+

| A |--------------------| R1 |----------------| R2 |---------------| R3 |----------------| B |

+---+   172.168.1.0/30   +----+   10.8.1.0/30  +----+  20.8.1.0/30  +----+   58.8.1.0/30  +---+

|<----------------LSP--------------->|

Traceroute from A towards B should have:

[1] R1 interface address                     [172.68.1.2]

[2] R3 interface address towards R2          [20.8.1.2]

[3] B destination address                    [58.8.1.2]

Traceroute from R1 towards B should have:

[1] R3 interface address towards R2          [20.8.1.2]

[2] B destination address                    [58.8.1.2]

Regards

Surya