Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  "requires an additional 'if-e1' license"

Posted 12-26-2012 23:01

Hi all,

I have 1 j2300 with 2 ports E1. (E1 fixed form-factor : Two fixed E1 ports ,Two fixed FE ports)

I configured one of them and it was working fine in production network.

Now i need to configure the other E1 port, but i received warning:

## Warning: requires an additional 'if-e1' license

My understand : No port licenses are required to operate onboard or modular interfaces.

Can some body give explanation and solution for this?

Thanks all

• 2.  RE: "requires an additional 'if-e1' license"
    Best Answer

Posted 12-27-2012 08:37

Hello there,

Yes you have to buy a license to operate E1 port on J2300 if You are using JUNOS 7.5 or older. The license requirement was lifted in JUNOS 7.6 release

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/jseries/junos76/rn-jseries-76/rn-new-features.html#rn-new-features

Interfaces and Chassis

No port license requirement—Licenses are no longer required for any Services Router ports, such as T1, E1, serial, and Fast Ethernet.

HTH 

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: "requires an additional 'if-e1' license"

Posted 12-27-2012 19:37

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your information. But i can not find any link to download the version 7.6, just only 9.3 on juniper.net.

Could you please help for any link to download the 7.6 one ?

And in case if i use the 9.3 instead of anyother one, could you please share your experience in upgrading from 7.5 to 9.3, and is there any additional steps (upgrade firmware for any hardware, card) require to complete that ? 

thanks again,

regards

• 4.  RE: "requires an additional 'if-e1' license"

Posted 12-28-2012 02:38

Hello,

JUNOS 7.6 has been End-Of-Life since 15 Aug 2007 meaning it is retired and You cannot download it from official website.

Regarding JUNOS 7.6->9.3 upgrade experience for J2300: I don't have any but maybe other posters can chime in. 

General notes:

1/ the direct upgrade is supported across 3 or less major releases. This means if you are running 7.5, then the supported upgrade path looks like 7.5->8.1->8.4->9.1->9.3. However, you can attempt straight 7.5->9.3 upgrade, preferably in the lab, to see how it goes.

2/ please study release notes for JUNOS 9.3, especially regarding compact flash and RAM size for J2300.

3/ please open a JTAC case to obtain assistance if something looks unclear/you have special requirements

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 5.  RE: "requires an additional 'if-e1' license"

Posted 01-03-2013 01:48

Hi