Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  virtual chassis different between mx and ex

Posted 05-23-2014 02:20

dear all,

I want to know is there any differences between mx and ex when use virtual chassis?

thanks you~

• 2.  RE: virtual chassis different between mx and ex

Posted 05-23-2014 05:17

Well the differences between MX and different type of EX platforms can be very radical.

I suggest you to go through the documentation available on Juniper website.

If you understand how all these types of VCs are working, then you won't have a problem understanding the differences between them.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.2/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-ex8200-components.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.2/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-ex4200-components.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.3/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-mx-series-components.html

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: virtual chassis different between mx and ex

Posted 05-25-2014 09:13

thank you for your replys.

through the  Juniper website  that you show ,i have a another question.

when two MX run virtual chassis,when the packet traiffic pass the VC, the master router and the backup router  working by active/active ,or active/standy ?

if VC only supports A/S , I am not sure the master router performance better than two MX working stand alone?

thank you~~~~

• 4.  RE: virtual chassis different between mx and ex
    Best Answer

Posted 05-25-2014 22:45

You mat definitely need to consult with a Juniper Systems Engineer who has initmate knowledge of the MX Hardware architecture. Anyways the when you have multiple routing engines, only one can be active at any time. Virtual Chassis makes the 2 or more devices perform as a single L2 device so only one RE can be active at a time.

Same thing if you create a chassis cluster, the RE is always Active/Passive, but you can have A/A nodes routing traffic  or A/P.

• 5.  RE: virtual chassis different between mx and ex

Posted 05-27-2014 06:31

thank you soooo... much fou your help~~~

• 6.  RE: virtual chassis different between mx and ex

Posted 05-27-2014 03:51

In MX VC, both chassis are forwarding traffic. There is no way configuring them as active/standby.

If you are interested in how the REs from the chassis members are behaving, yes they are working in active/passive.

There is a small difference and that is the failure of the master RE in VC master chassis triggers the failover to the master RE in VC backup chassis.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.