SDN and NFV Era
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MPLS + SDN + NFV World - Paris 2016

by Juniper Employee ‎03-02-2016 01:28 AM - edited ‎01-11-2017 08:16 PM

In the past twelve months we’ve seen significant changes in attitude towards NFV and automation. For instance, can you recall the last time you heard it was all “vendor hype?” There are already some great examples of operators deploying virtual services to live customers. And, from a vendor and partner perspective, we see more sophisticated ecosystems developing as the full extent of cloud economics is better understood.

The early pathfinders are, however, in the minority. For most it’s still about the “show me” phase. That’s to say, show me how I can deploy platforms to support virtual services; show me how they integrate with my existing network; show me how they behave as network conditions change – and the list goes on. Taken literally, “show me” usually requires a lot of effort; a visit to a lab or something like a proof of concept trial. And even then, we don’t all get to be a part of the experience as many of us are committed to keeping today’s network up and running rather than developing what we will deploy tomorrow.   And that’s where events like MPLS+SDN+NFV World and sponsors like Juniper Networks play their part.

Juniper Networks: Diamond SponsorJuniper Networks: Diamond Sponsor

If you’re planning to attend MPLS+SDN+NFV World in Paris then Juniper Networks will give you the chance to explore, experience and elaborate on all things virtual and automated. Be a part of our live demonstrations, question our experts at whatever level of you want and turn virtual theory into virtual reality.

We’ll have live demonstrations of Northstar Controller, Contrail, Cloud CPE and OpenConfig as well as a deep dive into EVPN. There’s some more information below and if you want to reserve a time for a demo then just email me at npound@juniper.net and we’ll work something out. Alternatively just rock along to the Juniper booth and we promise to take good care of you. Who knows, you could even pick up a shirt or win a signed copy of MPLS in the SDN Era – I almost forgot to mention that we have the authors along for the ride as well.

And there’s more yet; We have Tom DiMicelli joining us and he can’t wait to tell you all about our latest line card for the MX2000 series – the MPC9E - which, he enthuses, “when used in combination with the MX2020 3D Universal Edge Router creates the highest capacity, highest density, most full-featured single chassis edge router available today." We’ll have an MPC9E at the booth so you can can touch it, smell it and even take a selfie with it (there’s a prize for the best selfie too).

We'd love to welcome you to our booth and show you some of the great liive demonstrations. I'll be posting Twitter updates over the course of the show and you can get these via @neilpound. 

To help you plan your time effectively a little more detail follows. 

Northstar Controller Demonstration

This industry-first NorthStar traffic optimization WAN SDN controller automates the creation of traffic-engineering paths across the network, increasing network utilization and enabling a customized programmable networking experience. With the power of Junos OS, WANDL optimization algorithms, and transport abstraction, NorthStar Controller enables efficient design, bringing new levels of control and visibility that help you avoid costly over provisioning. Our demonstration includes  the new 2.0 enhancements such as Dynamic Multi-Layer Optimization and High Availability.

Contrail Networking Demonstration

Juniper Networks Contrail Networking is a simple, open, and agile SDN solution that automates and orchestrates the creation of highly scalable virtual networks. These virtual networks let you harness the power of the cloud for new services, increased business agility, and revenue growth. Junipers Contrail Networking is:

• SIMPLE: Creates virtual networks that integrate seamlessly with existing physical networks, and that are easy to manage and orchestrate.
  • OPEN: Avoids expensive vendor-lock with an open architecture that interoperates with a wide range hypervisors, orchestration systems, and physical networks.
  • AGILE: Speeds time to market for new services by automating the creation of virtual networks that interconnect private, hybrid, and public clouds.

We’ll demonstrate how Contrail can build robust and agile service chains to support virtual network functions and tenant based services.

EVPN Deep Dive

EVPN and EVPN-PBB are VPN technologies that use Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) as a control-plane for MAC address signaling and learning over a network core to provide Ethernet based L2/L3 VPN solutions. In this EVPN use case analysis we present six applications of Ethernet VPNs:

• Data Center Interconnect,
  • Business Edge
  • Metro Ethernet
  • IP Core
  • Internet Peering
  • Over the Top (OTT) services.

The implementation options and benefits of EVPN technologies are unique to each of these applications. We’ll summarise the pros and cons of EVPN technologies in each of the six scenarios with an overview of the technology, alternatives and how to get the most out of your existing network by utilising EVPN.

Network Programmabilty with OpenConfig and Junos Demonstration

For years network operators have been faced with developing a number of techniques to manage multi-vendor environments. While network operating systems have evolved throughout the years often introducing APIs outside of their respective command line interfaces (such as NETCONF), operators have still been faced with dealing with a number of varying instructions, transports, data encodings as well as data content to either retrieve data or instruct similar intent down to the variety of management planes within the network.

Recently, a group of network operators joined forces to launch an initiative called OpenConfig in an attempt to solve these problems by introducing declarative configuration and vendor neutral model driven management and operations.

We will demonstrate how Juniper Networks has pioneered technologies such as YANG and NETCONF to form the basis of OpenConfig and how the modular and programmatic architecture of Junos has put Juniper Networks at the forefront of supporting 3rd party data-models such as OpenConfig, streaming telemetry, and modern RPC frameworks.

Cloud CPE Demonstration

Junipers Cloud CPE solution simplifies service creation and automates service delivery to improve the efficiency of your operations, and increases your network’s revenue-generating capabilities, all at scale. Cloud CPE incorporates the modular Contrail product suite giving you the ability to:

• SCALE, using Juniper’s industry-leading, modular management and orchestration software stack for NFV telco cloud.
  • SIMPLIFY, service creation, shortening the process to a few seconds.
  • AUTOMATE, service delivery, reducing time from months to minutes.

At the Juniper booth we will demonstrate both centralized and distributed cloud CPE.

Announcements

Juniper Design & Architecture Center - Mobile Cloud
Labels
About the Author
  • Prior to Juniper acquisition, Ankur was the Founder and CEO of Contrail Systems Inc - a pioneer in standards based network virtualization and scale-out networking software. Ankur has over 15 years of experience in building world-class networking products and leading high performance teams. Prior to Contrail, Ankur served as Chief Technology Officer and VP of Engineering at Aruba Networks, where he played critical roles in the rapid expansion of team, products, and global businesses. Before Aruba, Ankur helped drive Juniper’s initial entry into and expansion of the Ethernet Switching market. Ankur received his MSEE from Stanford University & BSEE from the University of Southern California.
  • David Noguer Bau is the head of Telco Vertical Marketing at the SP Strategic Marketing team in Juniper Networks. He has extensive experience in Service Provider network evolution and regularly runs executive sessions with technical and marketing teams of important telecom operators to accelerate the adoption of virtualisation. David is based in Barcelona and has over 15 years of experience in the telecommunications sector. Prior joining Juniper Networks, Mr. Noguer Bau spent seven years at Nortel where he was a Business Development Manager specializing in Carrier Ethernet and Broadband areas. Before Nortel he worked at Eicon-Dialogic as Technical Manager in Spain. David has been the Country Marketing Chair at Metro Ethernet Forum for Spain. Mr. Noguer has wide experience speaking at international Conferences. He was graduated as Computer Engineer by Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB) and has an executive MBA from EADA Barcelona and executive education at the Thunderbird School of Global Management (Arizona) and the Henley Business School (UK). The views expressed here are my personal opinions , have not been reviewed or authorized by Juniper Networks and do not necessarily represent the views of Juniper Networks.
  • Donyel Jones-Williams is the Director of Service Provider Product Marketing Management overseeing all of Juniper's Service Provider Products for Juniper Networks. In this role, he leads all of the internal and external marketing activities for Juniper with respect to routing, automation, SDN and NFV. Prior to joining Juniper Networks in January 2014, Donyel was a Senior Product Line Manager for Cisco Systems with in the High End Optical Routing Group managing product lifecycle for multiple products lines helping telecom providers operate efficiently and effectively including; ONS 155xx Product Family, ONS 15216, ONS 15454 MSTP, Carrier Packet Transport Product Family, ME 2600x, & ASR 9000v. He also negotiated favorable agreements with 3rd-party vendors furnishing components and parts and conducted both outbound and inbound marketing (webinars, case study-development, developed and delivered both business & technical at Cisco Live 2005-2012). Donyel graduated from California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. While attending Cal Poly SLO he was a collegiate student athlete playing football as a wide receiver and a key member of the National Society of Black Engineers. Donyel is now an active volunteer for V Foundation.
  • Remarkably organized stardust. https://google.com/+JamesKelly
  • Jennifer Blatnik is vice president of cloud, security and enterprise portfolio marketing at Juniper Networks with focus on enterprise deployments of security, routing, switching, and SDN products, as well as cloud solutions. She has more than 20 years of experience helping enterprises solve network security challenges. Before joining Juniper, Jennifer served multiple roles at Cisco Systems, Inc., including directing product management for security technologies aimed at small to medium enterprises, as well as supporting managed services, cloud service architectures and go-to-market strategies. She holds a B.A. in Computer Science from University of California, Berkeley.
  • Jerry oversees all aspects of OpenLab which serves as a catalyst to spark the development of new innovative software applications or solutions that leverage the power of SDN/network programmability and intelligence. OpenLab is unique within Juniper and with its polished facility, globally accessible lab, and educational programs – such as the SDN “hackathons,” it serves as a tool for customer, partners, and academia. Prior to this position, Jerry led the development, management and marketing of the company’s strategic partnerships for video/unified communications, optical networking, and content/media delivery. In addition to handling the day-to-day oversight of the partnerships, he established new cross-partner go-to-market processes to drive and manage joint field opportunities. Before joining Juniper, Jerry led the Lucent Technologies application hosting/service provider marketing organization. He has over 25 years of experience in the data networking field with a focus on strategic alliance development, marketing, and technical field support. Jerry possesses a BS degree in Computer Science from St. John’s University in New York. He is active as a Juniper ambassador within the technology and academic community which includes advisory board positions with both NJIT and Rutgers in New Jersey.
  • I have been in the networking industry for over 35 years: PBXs, SNA, Muxes, ATM, routers, switches, optical - I've seen it all. Twelve years in the US, over 25 in Europe, at companies like AT&T, IBM, Bay Networks, Nortel Networks and Dimension Data. Since 2007 I have been at Juniper, focusing on solutions and services: solving business problems via products and projects. Our market is characterized by amazing technological innovations, but technology is no use if you cannot get it to work and keep it working. That is why services are so exciting: this is where the technology moves out of the glossy brochures and into the real world! Follow me on Twitter: @JoeAtJuniper For more about me, go to my LinkedIn profile: http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/joe-robertson/0/4a/34a
  • Mark Belk is the National Government Chief Architect at Juniper Networks
  • Mike Marcellin is Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, leading the global marketing team responsible for marketing Juniper’s product and services portfolio and stewarding the brand, driving preference for Juniper in the market, training our partners and account teams, and developing a differentiated information experience for our customers. Before joining the global marketing organization, Marcellin led business strategy and marketing for Juniper’s industry-leading portfolio of high-performance routing, switching and security products. Prior to joining Juniper in 2010, Marcellin served as Vice President of Global Managed Solutions for Verizon, where he oversaw product development and marketing of its managed IP networking, hosting, security and IT solutions for businesses around the world. He also served as Vice President of Global Product Marketing for Verizon Business, executive director of Verizon Business’ IP and Ethernet portfolio as well as leading the company’s eCRM marketing division. Marcellin began his career with MCI in 1994. Marcellin is a Board Member for the Telecommunications Industry Association and a Board Member of US Ignite, an NSF-sponsored initiative. Marcellin holds two patents and was a Rodman Scholar at the University of Virginia, where he received a bachelor of science degree with distinction in systems engineering. He is based in Sunnyvale, California.
  • I love the intracacy and intimacy of succesful communications. Why and how people engage with each other is fascinating. I am also consumed with the way IT changes behaviours, values and expectations in society. I bring this sense of wonder to my role in EMEA Service Provider Marketing Programs at Juniper Networks. Down time: My passions are music, reading, politics, Derby County and playing the guitar (and the harmonica). You can follow me elsewhere: twitter: @neilpound my personal blog: http://neilpound.tumblr.com/ my LinkedIn account: Neil Pound
  • Paul Obsitnik is Vice President of Service Provider Marketing for Juniper Networks Platform Systems Division (PSD), responsible for the marketing of Juniper’s portfolio of high performance routing, switching, and data center fabric products to Service Providers globally. Paul's team is responsible for marketing strategy, product marketing, go-to-market planning, and competitive analysis worldwide for the Service Provider segment. Obsitnik has extensive experience in marketing, sales and business development positions with a proven track record in creating technology markets. He has served in senior marketing and sales management positions at several companies including BridgeWave Communications, ONI Systems, NorthPoint Communications and 3Com. Paul holds a Bachelor of Science with Honors in Electrical Engineering from the United States Naval Academy and a Master of Business Administration from the Harvard Graduate School of Business. Obsitnik is based in Sunnyvale, California.
  • Praful Lalchandani is a Product Manager at Juniper Networks focussing on the Data Center portfolio. Praful is a seasoned veteran in the networking industry, with experience spanning over 15 years building networking products and helping service providers, cloud providers and enterprises with their networking requirements.
  • Pratik Roychowdhury currently leads product management for Juniper's SDN and Cloud Software product namely Contrail. He has been with Juniper Networks for the last six years, leading product management activities for Juniper’s Network Virtualization and Network Programmability products and taking some of these products from concept to release. Overall, Pratik has spent 16+ years in the hi-tech industry assuming various roles including product development at Citrix, strategy & product management at early stage start-ups, and technology investment banking at UBS. Pratik has a B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology and an MBA from Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Ross School of Business).
  • Russell is the global leader of the Advanced Technologies team specializing in Data Center Virtualization and Automation. Russell leads the team that provides Juniper’s major customers with solutions to provide the network underpinnings for highly virtualized and automated data centers.