SRX Services Gateway
Contributor
versello

11.4R2.14 stability?

[ Edited ]

I have a requirement for detection and prevention of encrypted peer-to-peer traffic on my network. The release notes for 11.4R2.14 appears to state that this is finally supported on branch models. My SRX 650 is currently on 10.4R8.5, which has been relatively stable. Has anyone encountered issues with 11.4R2.14 on branch devices? I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything major.

I know J-TAC recommends JUNOS 10.4R9.2 for the 650, but I've run into instances previously where their recommendation wasn't stable in caused core dumps in the middle of the night and early wake-up calls to my cellphone...

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
SomeITGuy

Re: 11.4R2.14 stability?

The JTEC recomendation is almost always the most stable option. The recomendation is based on number of tickets open for the release and how long the release has been available. Thus for most it will be the most stable release.

Also going with ANY release that has a high "r" number should be more stable than a release with a low "r" number.

I personlally don't trust a release for production that is below r3.

I am due for a round of updates soon, and I was really hoping than 11.4 would become recomended... both 10.4 and 11.4 are EEOL releases so they have very long support cycles.

Trusted Contributor
Luca

Well 11.4r2.14 has just become the recommended release for EX gear.

I would expect SRX devices to follow in the coming weeks.
Trusted Contributor
SomeITGuy

Well that is the hope, but EX and SRX are rather different in terms of features, even though they share most of the same OS...

EX didn't get dual root partitions till 10.4r 3 or so, even tought EX had it for a long time. Also there arn't any of the the problemmatic UTM engines in the EX release.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.