SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  300 series license

Posted 06-08-2016 08:52

Can anyone tell me what the JSB / JSE licenses are for on the SRX300 series? Does the device have the same functionality as previous SRX models without any licenses e.g. NAT, VPN, etc.? I can not seem to find any details within the datasheet.

• 2.  RE: 300 series license
    Best Answer

Posted 06-08-2016 17:47

The two licenses are listed on the top of page 4 in the bulleted lists.

https://www.juniper.net/assets/fr/fr/local/pdf/datasheets/1000550-en.pdf

The basic firewall policy, nat and vpn features are all in the base price.  These licenses add NGFW or the IDP signature type features to the box.

• 3.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 06-09-2016 01:05

Thanks, so much like the older SRX models then. The datasheet doesn't mention the licenses by partcode as other datasheets tend to. Do you know which is JSB and JSE?

• 4.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 06-09-2016 03:19

According to the footnotes, the Application Security Services (NGFW features) are JSE.

• 5.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 07-07-2016 07:44

The JSB license is SRX Branch.  It will not support MPLS (RSVP,LDP, L2VPN,L3VPN,VPLS, NGMVPN) CCC or TCC. AppID requires a security license.

JSE  is SRX Edge - it will support MPLS features as and AppID as baseline software (app identification and control, app QoS, and SSL inspection).

Both versions require additional licensing for IDP, AV, AS, URL Filtering, and advanced Spotlight Secure stuff.

• 6.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 02-23-2017 02:43

I recently purchased a Juniper SRX300 on line for edducational reasons mainly. According to the datasheet 1000550-005-EN Dec 2016 none of the standard features needs an additional license. There is even no single reference to JSB in this document.
    Only for the special features an indication is written that states that an additional licence is required for:
    - Advanced Routing Services: Available as part of Juniper Secure Edge (JSE) software package.
    - Application Security Services: Available as part of Juniper Secure Edge (JSE) software package or advanced security subscription licenses. 
    - Threat Defense and Intelligence Services:  Offered as advanced security services subscription licenses.

However, I was not allowed to download the software upgrade (reccomended version) for my device. So I contacted Juniper.

According to the Juniper Territory Account Manager I need a JSB or JSE license but this would not be easy as I did not order the SRX via a Juniper Partner. But according to a Juniper Customer Care Representative I need a support contract. So what exactly do I need? Who is right?

That's why I asked the the account manager where this information (the need for JSB license) could be consulted. He replied in an email that he couldn't find the document himself.  HBut he  did send me the datasheet 1000550-002-EN Nov 2015 which is an older verion where there's even no reference to eithe the JSB or JSE license.

He wrote also the following 3 possibilities in his reply:

· JSB - SRX300 Junos Software Base with Firewall, NAT, IPSec, Routing, MPLS and Switching Services
    · JSB-LITE - SRX300 Junos Software Base with performance limited to 200Mbps of Routing / Firewall and 40 Mbps of IPSec or IPS performance. Includes MPLS services
    · JSE - SRX300 Junos Software Enhanced with Firewall, NAT, IPSec, Routing, Switching, MPLS and Application Security Services

Maybe there is a datasheet or a document with all the information (that one needs JSB to use the device) but I didn't came accorss it when I looked up the SRX300. Eventualy I could spend some additional 200 or 300 Euros for a JSB license but I'm not sure this will solve my problem. 

Thanks for your replies in advance

Bart

• 7.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 02-23-2017 03:28

Licensiing and support packages are confusing.

I would recommend you open an online case on the support site.

Choose the "Admin Service Request" type

It has been a couple years since I purchased home use devices, but my recollection is that you can get downloads for 30 days after a new purchase.  After that you would need an active support contact.  I used an admin service case to activate the access.

They should also be able to identify for you which item bundles include support.  That is what you would need for ongoing access.

I purchase these SKUs from CDW online once I know what I need.  Sometimes they don't have them listed but if you know the Juniper bundle needed they can get you a price.

• 8.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 03-06-2017 15:34

Hi guys!

I purchased a SRX300 in CDW. But they do not sell the license JSB.

Is it worth buying the license separately with a Juniper Partner?

I hope your comments!

Thank you 

• 9.  RE: 300 series license

Posted 03-06-2017 22:55

Hi, 

the Licenses are trust-based - however to legally run the device you need to purchase JSE or JSB - without a license you are basically violating the Licensing from Juniper.

So for the SRX300 you need to Order the SRX itself (300$) and the License (JSB around 300$).

Thanks and regads,

Guru Prasad

• 10.  RE: 300 series license