SRX Services Gateway
Visitor
kkinderen

Backup SRX-650 No ntp requests?

[ Edited ]

My 650 cluster is configured and so far appears to be running properly. I can ssh to the management port of both devices and ping from each back to the ntp server.

When I run ntpdate -u timeserver from the secondary device I get a response and the time is synchronized.

tcpdump on the time server shows ntp requests coming from the primary but (except when running ntpdate) I never see ntp requests from the secondary.

Is this normal or is there something I can add to my config to get the secondary to periodically request sync?

ntp {
        server timeserver version 1 prefer;
    }

Super Contributor
srigelsford

Re: Backup SRX-650 No ntp requests?

This KB article kind of hints that it can't be done for some reason:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB15756

"You can specify that the system time is retrieved from the NTP server when the device boots or enters a chassis cluster backup state"

Otherwise take a look in the log for the backup device and see if anything stands out: show log messages | match ntp

Sam.

Super Contributor
tbehrens

Re: Backup SRX-650 No ntp requests?

set system ntp boot-server [address-of-ntp]

set system backup-router [address-of-nexthop-on-fxp0] destination [network-that-ntp-and-mgmt-is-in]

That should, hopefully, do it. The backup device doesn't have an active RE, which means it needs to get to the NTP server via fxp0. That requires a boot-server to be set as well as a backup-router.

Do let us know whether that works out. If not, and the boot-server is indeed only used at boot, then I suppose a jscript would be the only alternative.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.