SRX

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE

Posted 07-24-2014 06:33

Hi, I have some VOIP phones provisioned by Jive. By default, the phones come with LLDP enabled and DSCP = 46. I have very little control over the phone configuration, other than manually changing each phone which I am reluctant to do.

I was attempting to get the phones in a separate VLAN. There are phones, PCs, printers, etc all on a wired network. First, I thought I could use LLDP to assign the VLAN ID, but I have read that the SRX210HE does not support LLDP. I'm running Junos 12.1X44-D35.5. 

I can't figure out how to assign the phones VLAN ID. How can I use DSCP marking to implement CoS?

#Jive
    #SRX210HE
    #VoIP
    #COS

• 2.  RE: CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE
    Best Answer

Posted 07-24-2014 07:49

You should be able to configure LLDP and LLDP-MED to assign vlan, etc. on an SRX210 as long as the interfaces have family ethernet-switching configured on them.  At least as far as I am aware, LLDP is only unsupported on VLAN-tagged sub-interfaces, and works as usual with standard ethernet-swtiching ports.  You would configure protocols LLDP, LLDP-MED, and then then voice-vlan under ethernet-switching-options.

Ron 

• 3.  RE: CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE

Posted 07-24-2014 08:12

Juniper support told me that I couldn't run LLDP on a routed VLAN interface on the SRX and pointed me to http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB25750&actp=RSS - so what is a "routed VLAN interface"? I don't understand the differences. Thanks

• 4.  RE: CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE

Posted 07-24-2014 08:23

A VLAN-tagged sub-interface is basically splitting a physical interface up into multiple layer-3 interfaces, with each sub-interface associated with a partiucular VLAN tag.  Contrast this with an ethernet-switching interface where one or more ports can be put into the same bridge-domain (broadcast domain) identified by VLAN tag.  If you are plugging in VoIP phones, etc. I would suspect you are using standard ethernet-switching interfaces.  From a configuration-standpoint, they look quite different:

Routed VLAN-tagged sub-interface

-----------------------------------------------------------
    ge-0/0/1 {
      vlan-tagging;
      unit 100 {
        vlan-id 100;
        family inet {
          address 1.1.1.1/30;
        }
      }
      unit 200 {
        vlan-id 200;
        family inet {
          address 2.2.2.1/30;
        }
      }
      unit 300 {
        vlan-id 300;
        family inet {
          address 3.3.3.1/30;
        }
      }
    }

Access-port for Ethernet switching

------------------------------------------------------
    ge-0/0/2 {
      unit 0 {
        family ethernet-switching {
          port-mode access;
          vlan {
            members data-vlan
          }
        }
      }
    }

Trunk-port for Ethernet switching

--------------------------------------------------
    ge-0/0/3 {
      unit 0 {
        family ethernet-switching {
          port-mode trunk;
          vlan {
            members [ voice-vlan data-vlan];
          }
        }
      }
    }

• 5.  RE: CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE

Posted 07-24-2014 10:57

So, on our SRX, ports ge-0/0/0 and fe-0/0/0 thru fe-0/0/7 are all ethernet-switching ports and they're all in the default vlan (vlan-trust). The phones have a 2-port switch built in, so there are PCs plugged into phones and then into the network switch. The phones are lldp-enabled, so I guess that's how to assign them to a vlan.

What's the difference between setting up the VLAN in "set interfaces vlan ..." vs. "set vlans vlan-VOIP ..." I know I'm just not getting the distinctions and when to use each.

• 6.  RE: CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE

Posted 07-24-2014 12:15

• 7.  RE: CoS for VOIP with SRX210HE

Posted 07-24-2014 13:13

"set interfaces vlan" is used to assign IP address to the l3 interfaces used in a VLAN

"set vlan" is used to create the vlan, assign it a VLAN-ID, etc.