SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port

Posted 05-06-2011 12:49

Is there a way to define a destination match condition with a protocol as well as IP address and port?

I need to duplicate the following iptables rules:
    -A PREROUTING -d 172.19.8.40 -i eth0 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 1022,13891 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.10.11.34
    -A PREROUTING -d 172.19.8.40 -i eth0 -p udp -j DNAT --to-destination 10.17.6.76
    -A PREROUTING -d 172.19.8.40 -i eth0 -p icmp -j DNAT --to-destination 10.10.11.34
    We trying to replace an old linux firewall with a clustered SRX210H pair running Junos 10.4R3.4

• 2.  RE: Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port

Posted 05-06-2011 13:25

NAT rules match only IP and port. You might be able to combine NAT with your policy in some way.

• 3.  RE: Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port

Posted 05-09-2011 06:51

So  does it apply the rule to all protocols that match ip and port?

• 4.  RE: Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port

Posted 05-09-2011 08:24

Destination NAT works PRIOR to application of security policy. So you would have to create your destination NAT rule based only on IP and port. You could then create your security policy based on the NAT'd IP / Port / Protocol combination.

• 5.  RE: Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port

Posted 05-09-2011 09:11

I think I understand the new Junos NAT flow versus the screenOS NAT flow.  The problem I am trying to address is NATing inbound ICMP and TCP trafffic on certain ports to one IP and inbound UDP traffic to a different IP.  All without being able to use protocols in the destination NAT definition.  Based on this discussion it looks like I am out of luck how to do destination nat with UDP port?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port
    Best Answer

Posted 05-09-2011 11:02

I believe that you are. Off the top of my head I think that you could accomplish what you wanted through some manipulations based on filter based forwarding.

You could create a FW filter that matched on Port/IP/Protocol - pipe it into a routing-instance and then apply the Dest-NAT just on that routing instance.

Would get a bit complex (meaning I haven't thought this all the way through 🙂 But I think it would work.

• 7.  RE: Destination NAT match on ip, protocol and port

Posted 05-18-2011 06:32
      |   view attached

Good call JTAC came back with the same solution.  However we decided to return the SRX devices and get SSG appliances which can accomplish the same thing in a single simple policy statement.  

We have been monitoring the progress of the SRX platform thinking that now would be a good time to move in that direction and away from ScreenOS but I think there are still some rough patches in the SRX line that still need some refinement.  

Attached is the solution using a firewall filter and a routing instance that JTAC provided. 

Thanks

Attachment(s)