SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Dual NAT with IPSec VPN

Posted 05-10-2011 03:50

I have a problem whereby I would like to configure DUAL NAT across an IPSEC VPN i.e. I have overlapping address space between the two VPN endpoints.

10/8 -- SRX ------INTERNET ------- Cisco IOS------ 10/8

<----------- IPSEC VPN --------->

^

|

Dual NAT (Static)

The problem I have is that if I configure a policy VPN the policy will not reflect the proxy-ids of the remote side. i.e. the policy will include the pre-NAT source address and the post NAT destination address. Whereas the remote side (IOS) proxy-id will have the two post natted addresses.

If I manually define the proxy-ids as the two pre-natted addresses so as to match the IOS VPN. The SRX sends any any proxy-ids.

Has anyone got any hints that may help out in this case.

Thanks very much

Tom

• 2.  RE: Dual NAT with IPSec VPN

Posted 05-10-2011 05:01

Hi

For such a task, it is usually suggested to use a route-based vpn. Create a unit x on st0 interface

and bind your vpn to st0.x. Create a route directing traffic to this interface.

Then configure static nat  - it should be working perfectly.

As for proxy-id mismatch, this sounds like a different problem. For any vpn (policy or route based)

configuring manual proxy-ids should work. If it doesn't then please show us your config.

• 3.  RE: Dual NAT with IPSec VPN

Posted 05-10-2011 05:12

pk is right on the money. NAT and policy-based VPN do not mix. This has to do with the way NAT is processed - both pre- and post-policy - which means your traffic won't match your policy, or if you make the policy match, the proxy-ids are off. Use route-based instead.

In this case, it's pretty simple, since it's 10/8 either side. If you have multiple objects / networks on the IOS side, you'll need multiple proxy IDs. Use NHTB for that. If you search the forums for NHTB, I think you may find a post showing an example.

• 4.  RE: Dual NAT with IPSec VPN

Posted 05-11-2011 13:17

Thanks very much tbehrens. I'll let you know how I go with it.

cheers Tom

• 5.  RE: Dual NAT with IPSec VPN

Posted 05-12-2011 05:19
      |   view attached

Got that going thanks for the help.

Configs here if anyone needs them.  SRX config has some D-VPN config in it which should be ignored any policies profiles etc starting with DVPN

cheers Tom

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Dual NAT with IPSec VPN
    Best Answer

Posted 05-12-2011 05:21
      |   view attached

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: Dual NAT with IPSec VPN

Posted 05-11-2011 13:16

Thanks very much pk I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

cheers Tom