SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 08-18-2010 23:39

hello,

has anyone got the dyndns working with the srx210 running junos 10.2 ?

if yes, could you please post an example ?

thanks

• 2.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210
    Best Answer

Posted 08-19-2010 02:36

Hi,

unfortunately there is no DynDNS support in the SRX series devices. It has been included in JUNOS 9.x (can't remember it exactly, I think it was the first version of JUNOS with enhanced services) but it was removed (due to stability problems if I remember it right). Last time I talked to a Juniper SE, they told me that there were no current plans to reintroduce that feature in the near future. But this of course can be different today.

Nevertheless, today your only option to run the DynDNS client on a PC/server within your network.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you.

Regards,

Dominik

• 3.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 08-20-2010 11:25

Thanks for your answer,  so at this time i wil continue to use my ssg5 as dyndns, as in italy for a private person there is verry hard / expensive to get a static ip... Smiley Sad

maybe juniper will integrated this in a later time....

Regards

• 4.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 02-06-2011 11:41

Hi,

I found this on automation scripting, and it works well.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Junos-Automation-Scripting/Script-for-DDNS/m-p/68226#M470

• 5.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 02-06-2011 12:01

I second rotearc's link.

Junos  has an automation platform that was designed to solve these types of problems.  If there's a feature missing from Junos itself, Junos gives you the flexibility to use the automation framework to add the functionality yourself.

Use Roy Lee's example to setup DYNDNS as an event script.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Junos-Automation-Scripting/Script-for-DDNS/m-p/59270#M392

• 6.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 02-07-2011 16:50

While it is really nice that you can home brew automation for all kinds of function with the SRX, this particular feature is pretty basic.  Support for DynDNS on small branch and firewalls we deploy to the home office spaces of our employees is really a requirement for a business class solution.

We use these firewalls to connect the small office and home office users on a dynamic account with a VPN tunnel to company resources.  There is really no need to consume static ISP accounts for a few people in an office or a home office setup for remote employees.

All the competitive equipment for small office VPN firewalls have DynDNS as a push button built in feature, including the Juniper ScreenOS line.

This really needs to be on the roadmap and put into some future release.

• 7.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 08-29-2013 07:27

Do we have any progress on this yet?

I think it's clear that Dyn has proven their reliabiliy and usefulness in the industry - we could really use this functionality on the SRX.

• 8.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 09-01-2013 12:57

Just wanted to throw in my support for what you said. Too often Juniper seems to be systematically eliminating features not considered enterprise, probably because they do not want to support home users, but the fact is that thee are many, many SMB's that have the same needs and demands and requirements of a medium sized company. And as you indicate, many other vendors products have this feature built in. I am hoping that someone gets real revolutionary at Juniper and say to heck with it, we are going to reach out and support features that SOHO requires. This is like every home. Almost every home has a small business (maybe very small but has the potential for becoming large) and I really hope somebody will wake up soon. Better yet, since it can be done with scripting ( I know zilch about that feature), why not create those scripts, at least preload a few of the more common features that a script can resolve, into the SRX?  There are some available public DynDNS which can be used.

• 9.  RE: Dyndns - working with SRX210

Posted 09-08-2014 02:44

hello,

seems that in the latest junos this feature has been implemented:

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.1x46/topics/reference/configuration-statement/edit-services-dynamic-dns.html

sincerely