SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:27
    Hello everyone,

How can I downgrade junos on my SRX from version 12.1 to 11? I have tried to do request system software add no-copy from FTP, but I was getting an error about unsupported or incorrect config file.

What I did right now I zerorise my SRX and I will try to do this again. Is that a good idea ?

Also another question, if I will downgrade my SRX to version 11 I believe that in the future there will be no problems with upgrading it to version 12.1?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:31

Hello ,

Normally Downgrade from 12 to 11 version should not cause any issue . But best practice will be try once using USB method and if that does not help , Try to zerioise the device to factory default .

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16652 --> USB method

Once downgraded , there will not be any problem in upgrading in future .

• 3.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:38

You can first do a verify to check your config. I think you need to make a small config change to get it working under 11.X could be that you are doing the new DHCP setup and 11 does not support that.

With a zeroize your config and everything will be gone so make an backup of it.

The same counts for a USB install this will be a "fresh" or reinstall of junos. !! make a backup of your config also.

you are downgrading because of the subnet problem with your dynamic vpn setup ? have you had contact with the JTAC to open a case ?

• 4.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:41

Hi ,

To add  to it , Try giving " NO-VALIDATE " when you give the " request system software add no-copy no-validate ****** "

• 5.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:44

No don't do that their are something changed in the config!  betweeb 11 and 12.x This is asking for problems.

• 6.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:49

Hi ,

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16652 -->

Install Software via CLI (Method 2 - from Junos software on FTP server)

" If validation of configuration reports that your current config is not working with the new release (e.g. on downgrade), you can bypass this with the no-validate option. "

Also can you paste the exact error message here . 

• 7.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 02:01
    "you are downgrading because of the subnet problem with your dynamic vpn setup ? have you had contact with the JTAC to open a case ?"

Correct - I have spoken with Juniper a week ago (Maybe two) trying to report a problem, they told me that I need to get juniper support first to open a new jtec case - so I requested a price for support. Yesturday they called me that one time support will cost me 1000 British pounds per day... Which is ridiculous price for one day support, they told me that there is an option to get annual subscription which cost around 250 pounds - so I have accepted this price, but now they have to confim the price so I have to wait for a call from juniper.

All servers in our rack has been turned off because we still having an issue with this VPN - so I decided to downgrade junos to version 11 and after I will sort out my support with juniper then I will probably upgrade it again to version 12.1

I really want to start my project...

• 8.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 03:54

I suggest opening the case, and in the meanwhile if you have to go on with your project get started with the 11.x version. The only thing is that JTAC will ask you to test stuff. Then you have to uprade to the 12.1 version again.

I would give them a call if I was you and ask about the pricing question. If that is fixed open the JTAC case directly so you can go forward.

But that are just my 2 cents

• 9.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 01:33

HiMSEngineers,

You are getting that error because the newer version would have some additional features which might not have been present in the older version.

Zeroising the configuration will help you do the downgrade successfully. However, it would be good to take the backup of the configuration.

Also, 11.4 version is going to be out of support soon and it would be advisable to upgrade to the latest version instead.

Cheers,

Shailesh

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!
    If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]

• 10.  RE: How to downgrade junos

Posted 04-22-2015 04:08

Can you share the error message. Also please check if the error is for current config or rescue config.

Additional to that, 11.4 is going to be EOS from June 2015, not sure if downgrading is a good idea.