SRX

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  IPS-IDP-UTM

Posted 01-26-2013 06:25

hi all

would someone plz differentiate between IPS,, IDM,, and UTM....if someone can give clear demarcation...
    in which scenarios to apply what????

• 2.  RE: IPS-IDP-UTM
    Best Answer

Posted 01-26-2013 10:29

Hi

For Juniper, IPS=IDP - Intrusion detection functionality, that allows you to catch network attacks and protect your servers from known (sometimes even unknown) application-layer vulnerabilities. Can be used to protect clients from server-initiated attacks as well.

UTM includes network Antivirus, Antispam, Web filtering and Content filtering features, this functionality is usually needed to protect users of your branch offices.

• 3.  RE: IPS-IDP-UTM

Posted 01-27-2013 02:44

thanks peter for kind reply....i understand the difference...

1...now gen juniper srx devices support IPS/IDP,, still it offers dedicated IDP devices...how to take decision that should i deploy a dedicated device for IDP or should i configure IPS/IDP on same srx devices

2....is there some dedicated device for UTM too???which one is it???

• 4.  RE: IPS-IDP-UTM

Posted 01-27-2013 08:19

Hi

1. It depends on so many parameters, I'm afraid I can't give you the unambiguous advice. High-end SRX are more powerful then any standalone IDP sensor, and SRX's IDP performance can be increased gradually by inserting new cards. So for very high performance deployment SRX are, I think, preferred. At the lower end, you will not benefit from having a separate device for IDP so again, SRX (branch model) will be preferred. Somewhere in between - you need to look at prices. 

2. No separate device for that currently.

• 5.  RE: IPS-IDP-UTM

Posted 01-30-2013 23:36

thanks peter for fruitful explanation