SRX

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-04-2014 06:32
    Hello, can the ISSU be done on SRX650 cluster. I found the KB and there's a clause - ISSU is not supported on branch devices. SRX650 I guesss is a branch device but it seem to support at least the command - request system software in-service-upgrade ... BR, Kalev

• 2.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650
    Best Answer

Posted 08-04-2014 07:19

Hello nurklik

In branch devices, this feature is called ICU. Please refer below documentation for understanding:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.4/topics/task/operational/chassis-cluster-upgrading-and-aborting-backup-and-primary-device-with-icu.html

You could use below command for ICU upgrade:

user@host> request system software in-service-upgrade image_name no-sync

Regards,

Raveen

• 3.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-04-2014 12:09

Please note that ICU is different from ISSU in that the sessions are not presevered during the failover disabling syn check temporarily helps but still all state is lost. Also there is a period of about 30 seconds downtime.

• 4.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-05-2014 02:46
    Thanks for replies and info. Another question - found this http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17946 In the solution section of the KB there's contradictory information. In the beginning it states if above services are used then ISSU is not supported. Bit later it says "not recommended". I'd like to upgrade SRX650 cluster from 11.4R1.6 to 12.1X44-D35.5 There are used services like logging, ntp, snmp Will the ICU work on not? BR, Kalev

• 5.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-05-2014 02:54

Hi Nurkik,

ICU is not to be carried  on your version if and only if the follwoing services are being used by you :

MGCP, SCCP, VPN, Logging, IDP, AppSecure, NTP, PCAP, Port Mirroring, GRE/IPIP, Multicast, SNMP, Interface Monitoring, LACP, LAG, JFLOW, GPRS/GTP/SCTP.

ICU would cause problems, and the results might be unpredictable when any of the above mentioned services are running. Hence I would recommend not to go for ICU with these services enabled.

You may deactivate any of the above mentioned services if presenta nd go for ICU.

Regards,

c_r

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too

• 6.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-05-2014 04:50
    So You're saying that if I go forward without disabling these services there can happen something bad with SRX650 boxes/conf/software/partiotions/etc themselves? And if I do disable (deactivate in configuration) these services then the ICU should work ok?

• 7.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-05-2014 07:22

Hi nurklik

Yes your understanding is correct!

It is not recommended to perform upgrade with services enabled as you could experience unexpected behavior.

Regards,

Raveen

• 8.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-05-2014 07:50

Yes, with these services enabled, there could be issues wih devices, namely configuration corruption, partition corruption etc. But there is no documented expected behavior. Hence it should be avoided. Also, if the services are not present/disabled/deactivated, ICu is expected to work fine.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards,

c_r

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too

• 9.  RE: ISSU support on SRX650

Posted 08-07-2014 00:34
    I didn't go for the ICU this time and used the old fashioned simultaneous reboot after upgrade. I guess I'll try the ICU or ISSU next time on a version that is officially more supported 🙂