SRX Services Gateway
Trusted Contributor
ssl_boy

If ever a command needed a yes/no confirm it is "request system software rollback"

/Hi, I've done something stupid and accidentally ran "request system software rollback" on a new SRX 220 Cluster I've just set up.  I thought I was about to rollback the configuration one version after I've made a change which has prevented me from getting remote access at all.. What surprised me is that such as destructive command doesn't prompt for any confirmation at all!

So this is what I've got:

root@foofirewall> request system software rollback            
node0:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
** /dev/altroot
FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
clean, 46850 free (34 frags, 5852 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
junos-10.3R1.9-domestic will become active at next reboot

node1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
** /dev/altroot
FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
clean, 46851 free (35 frags, 5852 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
junos-10.3R1.9-domestic will become active at next reboot

{primary:node0}

Problem, is, I didn't want to this at all, If I' rollback reboot to 10.3 I'm immediatly going to break my cluster as chassis clustering is only supported on 11.1 and higher.  Given that I'd 99% configured my firewall, I really, really, don't want to have to start over. I have a copy of the config but I don't want to rebuild unless necessary, given that the massive PITA setting up in the first place is (Three phyiscal interfaces required for clustering on a Branch FW, you ARE Kidding?!)

I'm safe until I reboot, how do I back out of this? There is documentation on backing out of ISSU upgrades on EX, but this is not what I wanted to do..

Please help,

TIA

Kendal

Trusted Contributor
ssl_boy

Re: If ever a command needed a yes/no confirm it is "request system software rollback"

Well in a second act of foolishness equal only to my first, I discovered the "cure"  by accident by accidentially re-pasting the command into the console after trying to wake my PC up again, just running the command "undoes" it and puts you back to were you where, i've since rebooted both nodes and they've come back up in 11.1 no problem.

Thank you to the poster who offered an alternative solution which I never got to try..there post seems to have been removed :manindifferent:

Out of interest, is there a command that shows what the next boot image would be, I have looked and can't find one..

TIA

Kendal (forafter known as the stupid)

Recognized Expert
aweck

Re: If ever a command needed a yes/no confirm it is "request system software rollback"

Does this help:

super@SRX> show system storage partitions     
Boot Media: internal (da0)
Active Partition: da0s2a
Backup Partition: da0s1a
Currently booted from: active (da0s2a)

Partitions information:
  Partition  Size   Mountpoint
  s1a        293M   altroot  
  s2a        293M   /        
  s3e        24M    /config  
  s3f        342M   /var     
  s4a        30M    recovery  

super@SRX> show system software backup
Backup JUNOS package information:
File name: /altroot/cf/packages/junos-10.3R3.7-domestic
File size: 209899232

Juniper Elite Partner
JNCIE-ENT #63, JNCIE-SP #705, JNCIE-SEC #17, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-SSL
Trusted Contributor
ssl_boy

That does help, thanks a lot.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.