SRX

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 01-31-2011 15:45

Anyone run into an issue where an interface just stops forwarding traffic completely on a SRX650 running 10.4? Today my internet interface just stopped forwarding traffic in/out. The 4 other interfaces were fine. I was not able to ping my next hop, but but looking in the arp table I can certainly see it. I even cleared arp and it was back again. I enable icmp on the interface was my provider was not able to ping me, but did have arp. I wish I could have spent more time troubleshooting but the small data center needs working internet. I rebooted the SRX and it failover to the other node which fixed. I was able to fail back like normal. I have a case open with JTAC, but just looking for the people who have to deal with nonsense like me. 

Also, would tracking my next-hop maybe fail this node over in this case you think? Just wondering if I should turn that on and turn off preempt.

Few things I have enabled: IDP, HA Cluster, single VPN tunnel as a backup to another circuit failure, OSPF.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 01-31-2011 18:05

Do you by chance have a duplex mismatch on a interface not including the onboard ports.  I.E. a port on a 16x GE gPIM?

• 3.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 02-03-2011 11:39

I am thinking that there may be a speed/duplex mismatch, but the chassis are clustered and gives me an error when i try to them: 

[edit interfaces ge-2/0/11]

+   speed 100m;

+   link-mode full-duplex;

[edit interfaces ge-2/0/11 gigether-options]
      'redundant-parent'
        redundant child device link-mode setting is not allowed
    [edit interfaces]
      'ge-2/0/11'
        Platform: gigether options parsing fails
    error: configuration check-out failed

[edit interfaces ge-2/0/11 gigether-options]  'redundant-parent'    redundant child device link-mode setting is not allowed[edit interfaces]  'ge-2/0/11'    Platform: gigether options parsing failserror: configuration check-out failed

Lost on this one. Everyone once in a while the interface just stops forwarding traffic. I see some arp on the interfaces, but not the one for my next-hop and I can't ping any other the other address I do see. As soon as I failover to the other chassis it starts working again. Monitoring the interfaces shows BPDU's from the switch I am connected to, but no other traffic. 

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 02-03-2011 11:44

Yup. JTAC just confirmed that you can NOT set speed/duplex when chassis is clustered. 

• 5.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic
    Best Answer

Posted 02-03-2011 13:11
    Yep had the exact same problem on a 650 deployment. See if You. Can have upstream provider not hard set values. Sorry so short, driving. ; p

• 6.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 02-04-2011 10:51

You also can not see what the ports auto-negotiated too. I am finding it very difficult to troubleshoot connection problems when I don't have the most basic set of tools. 

My provider is going to set their core to auto and hopefully this is the issue and will fix the problem which I am grasping at. 

Thanks for your help. Hopefully I will have some good news.

• 7.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 02-08-2011 06:11

Having the ISP change their core to Auto/Auto did the trick. It has been up sense.

Thanks for the help!!!

• 8.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 02-09-2011 06:06

Cool!  I see this question a lot and IDP seems to get the blame...  Bump for duplex mismatches.  😉

• 9.  RE: Interface stops forwarding traffic

Posted 08-28-2013 05:31

Hi guys,

I am having the same issue right now on a SRX650 chassis cluster.

Both interfaces are showing as up/up with an arp table entry showing, it is a dark fibre connection and I control the equipment at both ends. Both ends are SRX650 chassis clusters.

The interface at both ends is auto/auto and showing the following:

*Note that it is showing as down as I have disabled the interface.

**Note that both sides show Link Mode: full duplex with speed: 10Gbps

SRX# run show interfaces xe-6/0/0
    Physical interface: xe-6/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is down
      Interface index: 395, SNMP ifIndex: 560
      Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, Link-mode: Full-duplex, Speed: 10Gbps, BPDU Error: None,
      MAC-REWRITE Error: None, Loopback: Disabled, Source filtering: Disabled, Flow control: Enabled
      Device flags   : Present Running Down
      Interface flags: Hardware-Down SNMP-Traps Internal: 0x0
      Link flags     : None
      CoS queues     : 8 supported, 8 maximum usable queues
      Current address: 00:10:db:ff:10:00, Hardware address: 54:e0:32:6b:12:a8
      Last flapped   : 2013-08-28 21:49:19 EST (00:30:34 ago)
      Input rate     : 0 bps (0 pps)
      Output rate    : 0 bps (0 pps)
      Active alarms  : LINK
      Active defects : LINK
      Interface transmit statistics: Disabled

Logical interface xe-6/0/0.0 (Index 96) (SNMP ifIndex 572)
        Flags: Device-Down SNMP-Traps Encapsulation: ENET2
        Input packets : 334952149
        Output packets: 317443182
        Security: Zone: Null
        Protocol aenet, AE bundle: reth0.0   Link Index: 0

Junos version is 11.4r7.5 on both chassis clusters. The other interface in the RETH is forwarding traffic just fine and has never had any issues. The interface seems to stop forwarding at random times, sometimes staying up for a week, other times last about 4-5 hours.

I have tried JTAC multiple times and even had the RE replaced in the chassis.

*Note that if I reboot the SRX or roll the interface then it will come back up and start sending traffic again (Until it stops anyway)

Any help on this would be fantastic guys.

Cheers,

Shaun