SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Is Data and Control traffic on HA encrypted or is it in clear text

Posted 07-16-2014 07:27

Hi

Is Data and Control traffic on HA encrypted or is it in clear text? Since IPSEC SAs are also exchanged as RTOs in HA it got me thinking whether these are in clear text or are they encrypted by some proprietary mechanism.

Regards,

Anand

• 2.  RE: Is Data and Control traffic on HA encrypted or is it in clear text

Posted 07-16-2014 10:08

Viewing debug logs on control links, I'm pretty sure control traffic isn't encrypted.  I've never seen a "decrypt" message in the log.

As far as the fabric port.... if the traffic comnes into the SRX encrypted, it transits the fabric port encrypted. Even if the traffic terminates on one node, but comes in another node, it has to remain encrypted for the correct SPC on the other node to decrypt it.

• 3.  RE: Is Data and Control traffic on HA encrypted or is it in clear text

Posted 07-16-2014 19:22

Hi Anand,

Control and Fab heartsbeats are Multicast packets. They are not encypted.

All session information , vpn details are exchanged  as RTO between 2 nodes.

To provide for session (or flow) redundancy, the data plane software synchronizes its state by sending special payload packets called runtime objects (RTOs) from one node to the other across the fabric data link.

Following Link will help with understanding HA

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security10.1/junos-security-swconfig-security/index.html?topic-43701.html

Regards
    rparthi

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated Too

• 4.  RE: Is Data and Control traffic on HA encrypted or is it in clear text

Posted 07-17-2014 02:09

Thank you Ben and Parthi for replying.

So if the data link were to be intercepted could session info and SA info be procured from the RTO? What I want to know is whether Juniper has a mechanism to encrypt Control and Data communication if we want to?

Regards,
    Anand

• 5.  RE: Is Data and Control traffic on HA encrypted or is it in clear text
    Best Answer

Posted 07-17-2014 02:40

Hi Anand,

RTO's are TNP Based packets and it is understood only by SRX device and even if you capture it , you will not see any understand anything with it.

only Node0 and node1 can understand these RTO messages and not any other users or devices.

Regards
    rparthi

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated Too