SRX

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  MVRP

Posted 09-12-2015 00:38

Hi All,

Sorry for posting this question in SRX forum. Looks like in the ethernet-switching forum there is very less activity.

I need feedback on mvrp protocol on ex-2200 switches. I"ve some 6-8 switches on which i'm trying to configure mvrp and vlan size of around 50-100.

I'm currently running using

Model: ex2200-48t-4g

JUNOS Base OS boot [12.3R4.6]

** Is it mandatory to have a distrubution switch to run mvrp? Currently i'm using one of my ex-2200 switches for routing at access-layer and also it connects to my core n/w which consists of srx-firewalls. So i would say that my ex-2200 is acting as a distribution switch for me......

1. Will it support?

2. Are there any drawback/bugs?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Regards,

Chandu

• 2.  RE: MVRP
    Best Answer

Posted 09-12-2015 01:05

Hi,

Yes the ex2200 will support mvrp. If your network is changing frequent enough and you prune vlans on the trunks to the distribution then it make sense. However if the environment is mostly static then I do not see any point as it is just another control plane protocol running on the switches.

The protocol has been around for awhile and I would not expect bugs in 12.3.

Tim

• 3.  RE: MVRP

Posted 09-12-2015 04:15

Hello Chandu,

If you are adding 50-100 vlans, to 6-8 switches with prospects of scalability, MVRP can be considered.

Following are some of the limitations of MVRP:

MVRP works with Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) and Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP), but not with VLAN Spanning Tree Protocol (VSTP).
    MVRP is allowed only on single tagged trunk ports.
    MVRP is not allowed if a physical interface has more than one logical interface.
    MVRP is only allowed if a logical has one trunk interface (unit 0).

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos13.2/topics/concept/mvrp-mx-series-understanding.html

Regards,

Rushi