SRX Services Gateway
Contributor
Telnet-1

Managing SRX Secondary Node

I know that using backup router command i can manage secondary node using SSH & Telnet

but can i use web management ( HTTP/HTTPS ) , i'm asking because on the secondary node all the processes are down by default

Recognized Expert
Visitor

Re: Managing SRX Secondary Node

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You cannot manage secondary node using HTTP/HTTPS because the processes that are required to run http and https are not active on secondary node.

Regards,

Visitor

Contributor
Telnet-1

is there any worarounds ? will it be supported on the future ?

Juniper Employee
rayado

Any changes committed on the primary node will be pushed to the secondary node, and many of the commands from primary node will show details or take effect from the secondary (show ver, show chassis hardware, request system software rollback, etc)

Even if you were able to do a j-web login to secondary node, given that the other processes are down it would really limit what useful information you can get directly from the secondary... for example in the cli take a look at "show interfaces extensive" from the secondary node... it will show interfaces as half-duplex and down....  most other basic commands are limited as well.

Not sure if what you wanted to try falls in these categories or not... if not what did you need to do from the secondary node specifically?

Super Contributor
cryptochrome

Telnet-1 wrote:

is there any worarounds ? will it be supported on the future ?

It will never be possible unless they completely re-design the SRX architecture. The SRX has a control plane and a data plane. The control plane has most of the software and intelligence running on it, while the data plane does all the traffic forwarind (and nothing more). The web server that offers the HTTP web interface can only run on the control plane. And the control plane can only be active on one cluster node at any given time. The secondary node is only running the dataplane, hence there is no such thing as a webserver.

That's by design. 

Twitter: @cryptochrome
--------------------------------
plus.google.com/11635909860
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.