SRX

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  NPC/SPC/ XYz..!?!?

Posted 05-10-2011 19:32

Hey guys,

Is there a simple rule of thumb or a tool somewhere (other then that awful iphone one) that would help to explain the affects of adding an NPC or SPC or IOC to a SRX box (3600 for example).

I seem to have read that each NPC is responsible for 10Gbps and provide 5Mpps, thus putting 3 would give you the 30Gbps.  The same docs say that 1 SPC gives you about 10Gbps of firewall, one million sessions, one million packets per second (PPS) .

This is where I get confused.  How can you have one card give you 5Mpps and another give you 1Mpps?

Could you get your full 30Gbps and 5Mpps with 3 NPC, 1 SPC, 3 IOC ? 

Thanks guys

• 2.  RE: NPC/SPC/ XYz..!?!?

Posted 05-10-2011 20:32
    If you have an iPhone or the iPad you can download the Juniper srx utility app. It can show you visually the effects of adding modules to the dc class of srx devices. You can download it in iTunes.

• 3.  RE: NPC/SPC/ XYz..!?!?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-11-2011 01:40

Hi

I know Juniper has a table for each high-end srx that explains how

large performance you get for each card combination. Check presentations on partner's

site for the latest version of it.

But definitely, you will not get 30Gbps with 1 SPC. The trick is that SPCs nad NPCs are

doing different jobs in SRX3000:

SPCs - do session processing and services such as IDP, IPSec, etc

NPCs - do session lookups and some hw feautes like screens and CoS

and you need both types of cards in your chassis. Generally, 1 SPC is maximum 10G

firewall, so for 30G you will need at least 3, BUT!! one of the SPCs is doing the

Central point functionality so it will be 4 SPCs, and also 3 NPCs to get 30G of firewall.

This is the maximum performance (large packet and lab environment), and real one

will be, of course, smaller.

I hope this at least explains the concept.