SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  PEM 0 Not Present

Posted 05-04-2017 06:19

Hi there.

I got my hands on a not-so-new SRX1500 to do some testing/learning/whatever. And it seems eithere I'm a bit daft or there's something strange. The device is supposed to have been cleared to factory defaults and I got informed that it always had one PSU only. But the device shows red alert LED all the time and there are two alerts active all the time.

root> show chassis alarms
    2 alarms currently active
    Alarm time Class Description
    2017-05-04 12:34:23 UTC Minor FPC 0 PEM 0 Removed
    2017-05-04 12:34:20 UTC Major PEM 0 Not Present

I found no way of convincing the SRX that the situation is perfectly normal and it shouldn't look for the other PEM. And, just for checking, I swapped the PEM to the other slot - didn't help just PEM number in the alert changed.

Anyone can help me to a relevant docs or help troubleshooting this issue?

Best regards,

Kruma Pawar

• 2.  RE: PEM 0 Not Present
    Best Answer

Posted 05-04-2017 06:48

Hi Kruma,

I checked on this internally and have found a couple of PRs on this issue and it seems to be fixed on version 15.1X49-D80. The issue has been reported on confidential PRs and hence i would not be able to share much information on it.

Could you please check and let me know the current version running on SRX and upgade to 15.1X49-D80 if not already on it and then check if the alarm go away.

Hope this Helps 🙂

Thanks,
    Pulkit Bhandari
    Please mark my response as Solution Accepted if it Helps, Kudos are Appreciated too. Smiley Happy 

• 3.  RE: PEM 0 Not Present

Posted 05-04-2017 06:54

Hi Pulkit.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably upgrade the software after the weekend (I have D75 right now). We'll see if this helps.

Kruma Pawar

• 4.  RE: PEM 0 Not Present

Posted 05-05-2017 03:54

Hi Pulkit

I upgraded to D90 and the alarms went away 🙂

Thank you!

• 5.  RE: PEM 0 Not Present

Posted 05-05-2017 05:53

Ehhhh.

It seems I was too quick about the alarm going away. It seems it was away for a short time after reboot and now it's back again. Only this time I'm not getting two alarms (one for absent PEM, and one for PEM not present), just one (for PEM not present).

Any more ideas where to look?

Kruma Pawar

• 6.  RE: PEM 0 Not Present

Posted 05-05-2017 20:50

HI Kruma,

I just checked on this internally again and found that only one alarm has been resolved till now till version 15.1X49-D90 and that is the reason you still see "PEM not present" alarm.

On checking further i have found that this command is now there as part of design but there is a plan to reduce the prirority of this alarm from Major to Minor but not yet decided on which version.

SRX 1500 comes up with only one PS from Juniper but the second PS is needed for redundancy and that is the reason for alarm. You need to get in touch with your Accounts Team /Juniper Sales Team to get the second PS for redundancy.

Hope this helps 🙂

Thanks and Regards,

Pulkit Bhandari

Please mark my response as Solution Accepted if it Helps, Kudos are Appreciated too. Smiley Happy 

• 7.  RE: PEM 0 Not Present

Posted 05-08-2017 01:14

Ahhhh.

So it means that:

1) It's by design (it's not a bug, it's a feature ;->)

2) It's quite confusing that it's Major (if it was Minor, I wouldn't bother that much) - as you said, the unit is orderable with one PSU, so one should be enough for proper operation (after all, the customer can just have two devices in failover mode and treat it as enough HA)..

Thanks for the explanation.

Best regards,

Kruma Pawar