SRX

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  PPP fail-over ISP provides multiple gateways

Posted 12-12-2015 10:44

Dear All,

This is my first post, I just needed some expert advice.
    We have a layer 2 leased line for a customer and ADSL for failover.

We have a ADSL module within the Juniper SRX, however when I disable the leased line interface I cannot connect via the PP0 interface because my address for eg. 82.82.82.82 (provided by the ISP) and the gateway for the ISP provider is in this subnet range 62..62.62.62, they have multiple gateways and they change dynamically, I cannot assign a static IP address because the address is IP negotiated under PP0 interface and the authenticating is done by RADIUS.

My question is if the next hop is in a different subnet and they have multiple gateways, can we assign a dynamic IP address because if I assign a static IP address, I cannot SSH to my device, so I have to do a commit confirm to make sure I do not lose permanent connectivity.
    One suggestion from the ISP is put a DSL router in front of the SRX and setup a static route to the DSL router and let it do the PPP session and setup routed IP and it will route the traffic to the internet, however apparently this was working previously without having a DSL router in front of it to reach out to the internet.

Please see below:-

pp0 {
    unit 0 {
    apply-macro "XXXXX";
    ppp-options {
    chap {
    default-chap-secret "$9$E-qcvW8X-24JfT1ESyKv8Lxd2a"; ## SECRET-DATA
    local-name "XXXXXX";
    no-rfc2486;
    passive;
    }
    }
    pppoe-options {
    underlying-interface at-1/0/0.0;
    }
    family inet {
    negotiate-address;
    }

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: PPP fail-over ISP provides multiple gateways

Posted 12-13-2015 22:03

HI,

you can set a default route towards the pp0.0 interface.

set routing-options static route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop pp0.0  This should solve the problem.

• 3.  RE: PPP fail-over ISP provides multiple gateways
    Best Answer

Posted 12-15-2015 03:36

Hi Marc,

I carried out what you recommended, there was already a default static route to the Data Centre, so I created a floating static route or qualified next hop with a preference value of 25 0.0.0.0/0 qualified-next-hop PP0, and it did the trick, thanks for all your help by making the next hop the PP0 interface within the Juniper SRX, please let me know how do I  apply the kudos points as well.

Well done again for taking out your time in reading my post and coming up with a resolution.