SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  RPM in SRX in packet mode

Posted 10-21-2013 12:39

Hello Experts

What is "one-way-hardware-timestamp" in RPM configuration in SRX?

Thanks 

• 2.  RE: RPM in SRX in packet mode

Posted 10-21-2013 14:27

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.2/topics/task/configuration/rpm-timestamps-configuring.html
    To account for latency in the communication of probe messages,timestamping of RPM probe messages for one-way delay and jitter measurements.Supported Platforms depending on version:
    EX Series
    M Series
    T Series
    MX Series

• 3.  RE: RPM in SRX in packet mode

Posted 10-22-2013 03:21

But what is the difference between hardware-timestamp and one-way-hardware-timestamp?

• 4.  RE: RPM in SRX in packet mode
    Best Answer

Posted 10-22-2013 11:09
      |   view attached

Now that is a second question. You may want to think of what it is you want to know and put it in one question, or if the fisrt question was answered, then create a second topic for comparison. If we take it to its logial conclusion, then the next question maybe, "Can I enable them both at the same time? or it could be, "But what is...something else that is related to RPM probes?" Question creap if you like:)
    The link in the response also answered your second question:
    "On MX Series routers and EX Series switches, you include the hardware-timestamp statement at the [edit services rpm probe probe-name test test-name] hierarchy level to specify that the probes are to be timestamped in the Packet Forwarding Engine host processor:
    hardware-timestamp;
    On the client side, these probes are timestamped in the Packet Forwarding Engine host processor on the egress DPC on the MX Series router or EX Series switch originating the RPM probes (RPM client). On the responder side (RPM server), the RPM probes to be timestamped are handled by the Packet Forwarding Engine host processor, which generates the response instead of the RPM process. The RPM probes are timestamped only on the router that originates them (RPM client). As a result, only round-trip time is measured for these probes."
    http://www.endthestatusquo.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.4/information-products/topic-collections/security/software-all/monitoring-and-troubleshooting/index.html?topic-57118.html
    RPM probe generation with hardware timestamp can be retrieved through the SNMP protocol.

The attached document may help with more deails about RPM probes and other performance monitoring features.

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: RPM in SRX in packet mode

Posted 10-22-2013 12:01

Hey 

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry I am asking many questions but all are related to same topic. But anyways, What I understand if I want to measure the round trip time from client to server then I need to enable hardware-timestamp but still confuse what one-way-hardware-timestamp does? 

If you dont mind please explain a bit more.. May be I am not following 

• 6.  RE: RPM in SRX in packet mode

Posted 10-22-2013 13:04

one-way-hardware-timestamp measures in one direction only, instead of roundtrip; it measures the time from the responding device back to the requesting device.

No problem in asking questions. If you don't understand then by all means. I am use to those kinds of questions. It makes us better at the job we do, improves understanding, improves patience and generally produce better results and more accurate and concise answers. My comment was that you could pose one question to get the answer and since often times there is more to the question than we normally give, we try to provide links which contain more information. So to your point,
    The real-time performance monitoring (RPM) feature allows network operators and their customers to accurately measure the performance between two network endpoints. With the RPM tool, you configure and send probes to a specified target and monitor the analyzed results to determine packet loss, round-trip time, and jitter. You gather RPM statistics by sending out probes to a specified probe target, identified by an IP address or URL. When the target receives the probe, it generates responses, which are received by the device. By analyzing the transit times to and from the remote server, the device can determine network performance statistics.Timestamping takes place during the forwarding process of the device originating the probe (the RPM client), but not on the remote device that is the target of the probe (the RPM server).Use one-way timestamps when you want information about one-way time, rather than round-trip times, for packets to traverse the network between the requester(Client) and the responder (Server). one-way-hardware-timestamp measures in one direction only, instead of roundtrip; the time from the responding device to the requesting device.

The following link for EX explanation, explains it very clearly.
    http://junos.com/techpubs/en_US/junos9.5/topics/concept/rpm-understanding-ex-series.html

If this answered you correctly, hey Kudos would be nice too:)