SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-07-2011 13:05

Hi yall,

After researching this issue a little it seems that others have had this problem, but I was unable to find a solution.

I have an SRX managing an AX411 wireless access point.  Randomly, about every two weeks or so, I will be unable to get a DHCP address using wireless.  This happens on different OS's, so it's not the computers.  If I hardwire into the network I can get an address.  If I manually set an IP using wireless, it works.  The config does not change.  It will work fine for about two weeks and then just crap out mysteriously.

Another bug or am I doing something wrong here?  Running most recent firmwares for both SRX and AX411.

dhcp {
                maximum-lease-time 86400;
                name-server {
                    8.8.8.8;
                    8.8.4.4;
                }
                router {
                    192.168.1.1;
                }
                pool 192.168.1.0/24 {
                    address-range low 192.168.1.2 high 192.168.1.100;
                }
            }

Simple enough config, can't believe there's a problem with it.  There was a bug that was supposed to be fixed around DHCP server and vlan.0, but it seems it's still there.  AP is using vlan.0

Reboot fixes the problem.

• 2.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-07-2011 13:51

Try Junos 10.4R7.5

• 3.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-07-2011 13:56

Oh and also define lease time for your dhcp pool, it's probably runnig out of IP after a while.

the command is:

set system services dhcp pool 192.168.1.0/24 default-lease-time 3600

Good luck

• 4.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-07-2011 17:08

Thanks for your help youness,

I had set the max lease time to 1 day.  I know that I am not running out of IP's because the IP's I get never go over .15 or so.  I have 98 IP's in the pool, and only about 10 things that request IP's.  I've also checked the bindings and they're are only about 6 or so IP's being used currently.

I don't really want to downgrade my firmware.  I upgraded to 11.2 so I could use the new web config module for faster response.  I appreciate the idea, but I always found it strange that they put out a 'stable' release and then they want you to downgrade if something doesn't work.

I will set the default lease time to a day and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for the response.

• 5.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-07-2011 23:15

Hi Andrew,

Junos version 11.2 is not recommanded the recommande junos os is 10.4R7.5 now based on this:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476

And as I remember you have told that you're using the latest version but 11.2 in not the latest version, the latest version now is 11.4

I'll test dhcp on my lab, and check if it has a bug, let you know the status 🙂

• 6.  RE: Random DHCP server failure
    Best Answer

Posted 12-09-2011 12:30

Hi again youness,

Thanks so much for bringing that article to my attention.  I can't say I really understand the logic behind it, though.  When I upgraded the firmware about a month ago 11.2 was the most recent for SRX so it made sense to get it.  I will downgrade now as this issue is not going away and rebooting the system when it occurs is not acceptable.

Thanks for letting me know about 11.4, too, although I guess I won't be getting it 😃

Actually, I just found the issue....................it is a known bug.  This is straight up ridiculous.  From the release notes for the AX411, in the 'Outstanding Issues':

• After a period of time ranging from several days to several weeks, Radio 2 stops
    communicating with wireless clients. The radio still sends beacons, and clients can
    still see the SSID, but when they attempt to connect to the network they do not receive
    an IP address. The workaround for this problem is to execute the restart wireless-lan
    service CLI command on the SRX Series device that manages the access point.
    [PR/579520]

That is a bug that needs to be fixed immediately.  I mean what  a bad joke.  I'm glad I found the problem, but am not happy at all with the answer.

Thanks again for your help.  I probably wouldn't have found it without your recommendation.  It made me read the release notes for changes/known bugs, and then I thought that it might be in those for the AP, because everything worked when hardwired.

Grateful for the help.

• 7.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-09-2011 13:14

Dear Andrew,

You're very welcome 😉

I kept my word, so I ran my lab for testing DHCP on version 11.2, btw. Nothing goes wrong yet, it's because it was not about SRX itself.

Thank you to let us know about this bug. Hope they fix it soon.

• 8.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-09-2011 13:24

Youness, if I may jump in here where I wasn't invited, I would just like to comment that your last post seemed a bit... well.. rude.  I didn't see anything in the conversation that warranted such sarcasm.  Andrew seemed reasonable and thanked you for helping him arrive at a resolution.

I've had my history of getting into beefs with people, so I'm not throwing stones from my glass house here, just that I didn't see anything antagonistic in Andrew's responses to your suggestions.

• 9.  RE: Random DHCP server failure

Posted 12-09-2011 14:29

@keithr wrote:

Youness, if I may jump in here where I wasn't invited, I would just like to comment that your last post seemed a bit... well.. rude.  I didn't see anything in the conversation that warranted such sarcasm.  Andrew seemed reasonable and thanked you for helping him arrive at a resolution.

I've had my history of getting into beefs with people, so I'm not throwing stones from my glass house here, just that I didn't see anything antagonistic in Andrew's responses to your suggestions.

Thank you for your comment, I didn't meant to be rude, I was just kidding in some points, but you're right, I read it again and it doesn't look like "kidding" in some points, I just forgot for a moment that this is text, people can't hear my voice and can't see my face to realize my actual feeling. Anyway, I fixed it. Hope you like it now 😉

Thank you again