SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX Cluster - Methods used to Avoid Z-Mode Traffic Scenario

Posted 04-01-2015 08:54

Hi all

I have 3 RGs i.. default RG0, and then RG1 and RG2. I have been asked if it could be possible to avoid Z-Mode in case of RG failure. The requrement is to failover all RGs if one fails.

Can I please ask which methods can be used to achieve the desired result.

thank you

• 2.  RE: SRX Cluster - Methods used to Avoid Z-Mode Traffic Scenario

Posted 04-01-2015 09:03
    If you want to avoid z-mode, keep only 2 RG groups. RG0 for control plane and RG1 for dataplane. Incase any interface fails the dataplane(RG1) will shift to other node.
    If you want to failover of RG0 as well, you need to enable interface monitoring under RG0 as well, but this will cause your VPN/dynami routing protocols to restart and can cause outage.

But RG1 failover willnot cause any outage and there wont be z-mode as complete dataplane is active on one node and only control plane is active on other node

• 3.  RE: SRX Cluster - Methods used to Avoid Z-Mode Traffic Scenario

Posted 04-01-2015 09:22

Thanks Suraj

So if I play with monitoring we should be able to keep 3 RGs and acheive the same result, am I right?

I was just now reading this:

http://www.tunnelsup.com/configuring-ha-on-juniper-srx-through-junos

Incidentally, we're not using any dynamic RPs, and I don't mind if the VPN fails over as traffic is *not* mission critical.

Kind regards

• 4.  RE: SRX Cluster - Methods used to Avoid Z-Mode Traffic Scenario
    Best Answer

Posted 04-01-2015 09:30
    Asuume you have ge-0/0/0 monitored under RG1 and ge-0/0/1 monitored under RG2, If one of these interface fails only the corresponding RG will failover to other node. this will create Z mode.

Generally more than 2 RGs are used to achieve active/active mode, is there any reason for you to use 3 RGs eventhough you dont want active/active?

• 5.  RE: SRX Cluster - Methods used to Avoid Z-Mode Traffic Scenario

Posted 04-02-2015 03:41

hi suraj

no, active/active is not required in this instance. i have removed rg2 and all is now perrrrrfect 🙂

thanks for your help suraj.

best regards