SRX

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX High End Minimal Upgrade downtime - OSPF

Posted 12-10-2013 07:05

Hi All,

Currently I must follow the following KB (http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17947)  In order to upgrade my SRX High end cluster (11.4R9) with minimal downtime.

My issue comes from the OSPF relationship that exist between my SRX and Core switch.  When I perform the failover the OSPF adj goes down but then takes approx 30-45 seconds to come back up.

Obviously 40 seconds is still too long of an outage.  Does anyone have any clever solutions?  I would like to avoid static routes but using them does reduce the outage to around 3-5 seconds.

ps.  I am using BFD to drive the neighbor down as soon as possible when the failover happens.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: SRX High End Minimal Upgrade downtime - OSPF
    Best Answer

Posted 12-10-2013 07:27

Hello,

@ttl_expired wrote:

When I perform the failover the OSPF adj goes down but then takes approx 30-45 seconds to come back up.

Sounds like Wait timer (which is equal to default Dead interval, 40 sec) which is only applicable to OSPF "broadcast" network.

Try changing the OSPF network type on interface between SRX and switch to "point-to-point" on both sides, repeat the test and report back.

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: SRX High End Minimal Upgrade downtime - OSPF

Posted 12-10-2013 09:06

You nailed it!  Down to the same outage time as static routes.