SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?

Posted 06-06-2015 09:14

Hello Experts

I need your expert advise. I have two SRX3600. One SRX-1 is in DC-1 (building 1) with distribution switch-1 and other SRX-2 is in  DC-2 (building 2) with distribution switch-2. Both buildings are less than 1KM distance

- To connect SRX-1 (DC-1) to distribution switch-1 (in DC-1) I undertand SRX-SFP-10GE-SR is fine

My questions are:

- By mistake we ordered all cables LR, if I connect SRX-1 (DC-1) to distribution switch-1 (in DC-1) with LR, that will work or it will burn the SFP?

- To connect SRX-1 (in DC-1) to distribution switch-2 (in DC-2) should I use SRX-SFP-10GE-LR or SR?

- Also sorry for my ignorance, for LR/SR what type of fiber cable is needed that is mutimode or single mode?

Regards,

• 2.  RE: SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?

Posted 06-06-2015 17:50

LR/SR are both optimized for different frequencies on different cable types.  You need to have the same type of optic on both sides of a specific connection and use the correct cable type for that link.

SR (short range) uses mulitmode cable at 850nm 

LR (Long range) uses single mode at 1310nm

In addition, the optics themselves will have maximum distance ratings that should be printed on the side. 

• 3.  RE: SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?

Posted 06-07-2015 10:37

Hello

Thanks for the reply. If both device are collocated I mean in the same room, means distance is very short, is its OK to connect via LR SFP on boht sides? Also what cable should I use?

• 4.  RE: SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?
    Best Answer

Posted 06-08-2015 03:10

You can use LR on both sides in the same room.  The distance limitations come into play for the maximum allowed for the optic.

LR uses single mode cable

SR uses multi-mode cable

• 5.  RE: SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?

Posted 06-08-2015 08:42

Thank you

• 6.  RE: SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?

Posted 06-08-2015 11:22

Just last thing, Can we connect 10G LR with multimode fiber? 

• 7.  RE: SRX-SFP-10GE-LR OR SRX-SFP-10GE-SR Basic Question?

Posted 06-08-2015 15:12

You really should not use multimode fiber for LR optics.

But I have seen it work for very short cable runs.