SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX honeypot

Posted 08-09-2017 01:51

Does SRX support honeypot ???

would someone please explain the function of this utility as all i know it makes the device impersonate an application server 

• 2.  RE: SRX honeypot
    Best Answer

Posted 08-09-2017 03:12

No a Honeypot is a computer not a firewall or network device.  They are setup to attract hackers looking like an easy target so that researchers and observe their behavior and understand better how to detect and block malicious activity.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/honeypot.html

• 3.  RE: SRX honeypot

Posted 08-09-2017 03:21

hey spuluka,

how are you

in the article it is said that honeypod can be configured in a firewall which made me think if SRX would support a feature like this and i found that it was supported in netscreenUntitled.png

• 4.  RE: SRX honeypot

Posted 08-10-2017 02:52

The firewall is NOT the honeypot.  There is a lot of debate about the role of a firewall, and whether one should even be used, when you deploy a honeypot.  

Because the point of the honeypot is to get the attention of malicious actors.  While the role of the firewall is to keep unauthorized traffic out.

In any case, the honeypot is a target that the malicious actor is trying to exploit.  While we are watching and recording exactly how they go about the process to learn more about methods.  Or using this as a place for them to waste their time instead of going after real targets.