SRX Services Gateway
Visitor
Mauro

SRX210 Console ports problems

Hi,

I have some problems with the console port. After the equipment boot and I have access by console port fine. If I  disconnect the console cable and connect again I don't have access by console. I need to shutdown the srx to recovery access by console port.

I have the same problem with all srx I tested.

Any idea?.

Regards,

Regular Visitor
kramshoej

Re: SRX210 Console ports problems

Try turning off flow control, hardware and software in your program. Which one are you using?

I have had a lot of luck with Putty as a serial communication program on Windows, and on Mac I use either screen or Minicom.

Try another cable also if the problems continues - I have some cables which look exactly the same, but are different in some way.

Visitor
Mauro

Hi, Thanks for your answer.

I use Securecrt, I tried turning off flow control, some cables and diferents PC, also I used putty and hyperterminal. The same problem.

If I start the srx with one pc connect by console cable, the port work fine but only with this pc, if I disconnect the cable and connect another pc, the console port don't work and Need to restart the srx, I tested with 20 SRX210.

Any idea?.

Thanks

New User
ritesh_kapahi

Could you please check the Earthing between SRX210 device and PC which causes the problem @your side

The problem what you are describing can happen if there is no common Earth(ing)  between the two devices which are being connected together via RS232 cable

Can you please confirm the following ?

• Are SRX210 systems installed in a rack or Are these put on a table ?
  • If these are installed in a rack, Is the rack properly GND(ed) ?
  • Are you using a 2 pin power cord or 3 pin power cord ?
  • Is Earth connected for this power cord to the socket ?

I have seen problems sometimes with 2 pin power cord. SRX210(s) are shipped with 3 pin power cord so please use the same and if you can not use 3 pin power cord, please ensure the SRX210 chassis is connected to Earth with the screw terminal provided on the back side (and this wil also be applicable if you are connected SRX210 on table and if you are not using 2 pin power cord)

Please feel free to send email to me if problem persists

Thanks

Ritesh

riteshkapahi@hotmail.com 

Visitor
Fahad.Hashmi

Hi,

I am also facing a problem with my console, i'm using ex 4200 switch and i cannot access the switch through the console. The switch is new and was working fine but now i cant seem to access it through the console (console was working before). i accessed it through ssh and all the hardware and software seem to be working properly.

I have already tested the cable, my laptop and related drivers and everything is working properly. the switch is properly grounded.

If you have a solution plz let me know.

Recognized Expert
mhariry

Hi,

you mentioned you tried to change PC, management software & cables. So it might be bug in the Junos version. Let's suppose that session is stuck as a suggestion you could apply command (set system ports console log-out-on-disconnect) it will grantee when you remove your console cable session will be disconnected so you could login again.

Regards,

Mohamed Elhariry

JNCIE-M/T # 1059, CCNP & CCIP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".Kudos are always appreciated!

Regards,
Mohamed Elhariry
2* JNCIE (SEC # 159, SP # 1059),JNCIP-ENT

[Click the "Star" for Kudos if you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Visitor
Fahad.Hashmi

HI mhariry,

I tried it but its still not working.

I am using the same iOS and the loader on other switches and they are all working properly.

Is there any command to verify if the console port is down/inactive ?

Visitor
Fahad.Hashmi

I have tried almost everything with this switch and now at least the console port is working but it is all in gibberish...

Does anyone know why that is and if there is a possible solution for it???

Plz help

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.