SRX

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM

Posted 01-30-2013 12:48

Can the 1-GE Mini-PIM be used in a reth bundle?  I know they do not support switching, but there's nothing in the docs that I could find that says it's not supported in a reth bundle.  Or are switching and redundant ethernet the same thing, in the context of a chassis cluster?

• 2.  RE: SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM

Posted 02-23-2013 18:36

Hi evt yes this should work.

• 3.  RE: SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM

Posted 02-23-2013 19:00
    Odd. I was never able to get it to work. Whenever I tried to put a pair of these in a reth, the FPCs would just restart and never come back online.

• 4.  RE: SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM

Posted 02-25-2013 06:34

Hi, whats ever is the topology you are using please remember that Branch SRX support switching only on same module . If module changes then switching is not support inter module . It is always best practice to use reth on interfaces from same module , If you still want to use optical fiber instead of fiber then search for media converter (Fiber to Copper) and use built in interfaces instead of 1-GE Mini-PIM

A kudos is good way of appreciation

Please mark this as accepted solution if it works

• 5.  RE: SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM

Posted 02-25-2013 06:38

It's a pretty vanilla topology.  A pair of SRX220s clustered together, each with a 1-GE Mini-PIM in 2/0/0 and 5/0/0.  The Mini-PIMs aren't configured to perform switching using an swfab interface.  They were supposed to have each been a member in the same reth, consisting of just those two ports (ge-2/0/0 and ge-5/0/0).  As of now, I'm not using a reth, but rather just plain routing (separate subnets) on each interface and layer 3 protocols are taking care of the traffic failover in case one goes down.

• 6.  RE: SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM
    Best Answer

Posted 02-25-2013 10:11

OK! You need to understand the basic architecture of SRX 210, it can contains only one Mini-PIM slot. In Branch SRX onboard interfaces are connected processor through internal ethernet switch and each WAN link (Mini-PIM) connected to processor through other ethernet switch. Now 2 interfaces from two different modules can not be part of reth as they belong to different switch and inter switch traffic processing require firewall inspection . Ref (Page 70 & 71 Oreilly.Junos.Security.Aug.2010.pdf).

A Kudos is a good way of appreciation

Please mark this as accepted solution if it works

• 7.  RE: SRX220H 1-GE Mini-PIM

Posted 02-25-2013 10:19

Got it.  I just didn't see anywhere in the docs that mention Mini PIMs can't be used in reths.