SRX Services Gateway
Contributor
khaled.kamal

SRX3x00 card requirements

Hello all,

I am struggling a little bit here about determining the required cards for the SRX3x00 firewall.

Our needs are the following:

- 10Gbps firewall

- 3Gbps IPS

As far as I understand, the SPC card supports upto 10Gbps throughput but shared between supporting firewall, IPS, VPN, and Application security. How can one determine the %s that the SPC will give to each service?

Also, the NPC card supports 10Gbps throughput, will that means that if my requirments are for example 11Gbps firewall performance that means I need at least 2xNPC cards in addition to the SPC cards, is that correct?

Thanks

Khaled
Recognized Expert
ronf

Re: SRX3x00 card requirements

For 10Gbps of firewall and 3Gbps of IPS, I would say you would need the following:

The correct combination of IOC's for your environment (1 x 2-port 10-gig IOC?)

1-2 x NPC (depending on the number of IOC's... you can only tie a single IOC to one NPC, so two may not benefit you unless you have multiple IOC's, or unless you use the onboard interfaces)

2-3 x SPC (depending on your packet-size, and your IPS policies)

Ron

JNCIE-SEC #127
Super Contributor
tbehrens

>>Also, the NPC card supports 10Gbps throughput, will that means that if my requirments are for example 11Gbps firewall performance

Yes, you'd need a 2nd NPC, and a 2nd IOC. Multiple IOCs can be bound to one NPC, but no more than one NPC can be bound to one IOC. That means even a 2x10G IOC will not scale beyond 10G total throughput.

3 SPCs will give you about 8Gb/s of IMIX throughput. AppSecure gives you about a 25% performance hit. The same 3 SPCs support about 4Gb/s of IDP. That's cumulative, of course. If your IDP throughput is part of your firewalled traffic, you don't need to "double-count" it. If it's 3Gb/s of IDP and then another 10Gb/s of firewall traffic on top of that, you're likely looking at a maxed-out 3600 with 7SPCs, 2 NPCs and  2 IOCs. At which point a 5800 would offer much greater headroom, at a much greater price.

Recognized Expert
ronf

Nice summary by tbehrens.  The big takeaway to me is that you cannot just add NPC's to increase throughput as they can only be tied to a single IOC.  SPC's on the other hand can be added to achieve an almost linear gain in service processing capability.

Ron

JNCIE-SEC #127
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.