Re: SSG vs. SRX

April of 2012 and it still really sucks

Trusted Contributor
Flannigan

o
do0zer wrote:

April of 2012 and it still really sucks

If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to the conversation then please don't do it.  In this case meaningful could be "I dislike the SRX series because of x, y and/or z."  It would also further the knowledge of the community and perhaps other members would have suggestions or workarounds for the issue.

Distinguished Expert
Screenie

[ Edited ]

Flannigan is totaly right! Please do0zer :come with arguments.

best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Visitor
nyssmanches

Just purchased two SRX 650s to replace an aging SSG550M HA pair. Looking at the recommended release code, which is JUNOS 10.4R9.2, anyone know a reason why is this a ful 5 revs of code back? Is anyone using the 11.x or 12 series of code???

Any input is appreciated.

Trusted Contributor
SomeITGuy

[ Edited ]

the xx.4 releases are EEOL (Extended end of life releases) IE they are the combination of an entire years worth of new features and instead of having one year of patching support they have 5 years of r release support.

The Recomended release is always the release that Juniper has the fewest open issues on and has the most field testing...Thus in most enviroments it will be the most stable...

If you where looking for something newer I would watch 11.4, it is only on r2 so far.

JUNIPER just started recomending 11.4 for EX and some other platforms, SRX is probably comming soon... However my gut feeling is that a r3 will come out before that happens.

Visitor
nyssmanches

Great - thanks for the info.

Contributor
John_M

I think you'll also find that for a while, there were lots of bug and other stability complaints with the SRX line. Juniper seems to have taken that to heart recently and the 10.4Rx series is putting that behind them.

The 11.x and newer have some really nice features, but for most people the 10.4 line's features are "good enough" (the Juniper SRXs really can do a TON of things for a single box!)

New User
Rich Pulver

Just FYI - if you are using a cluster and want to use JWeb don't bother updating to 11.x or 12.x. JWeb won't display cluster info (tells you that clustering is not enabled even though it is as verified from CLI), zones do not display at all and redundant interfaces don't disaply assocaited zones. There are known PRs for this in 11.x JWeb code - supposed to be resolved in 11.4R5. 12.x is supposed to include fixes for these issues, but sadly does not.

Contributor
jspanitz

Re: SSG vs.. SRX

This is the kind of stuff the keeps us hanging on to our ASAs.  You'd think an 11.x or 12.x release would be ultra stable by now.  sheesh.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.