SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Static routes, preferences, metrics & qualified-next-hop ...

Posted 03-26-2015 04:10

hey

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos13.2/topics/topic-map/policy-static-route-selection.html

If qualified next-hop is like 'floating static', whats the purpose of setting a preference (or metric)?

So my understanding around qualified-next-hop is that if the primary static route for the given prefix is no longer available since the interface is down, or next-hop (recursive), is not available, then the qualified-next-hop will become active. In this scenario I can't see preference or metric adding any further functionality, unless there are multiple qualified-next-hops for given prefix.

What I mean is, say the primary static route has the defualt preference assigned to it i.e. 5, and then we set qualified-next-hop with preference of 3, which route will win?, or even does it succeed when committed, if so I think it should not, and if I'm wrong then is which type of 'scenario' would you want to set a qualified-next-hop as your primary route ...?

by all intent and purpose its qualified-next-hop is essentially a secondary route - period, well that's how I read it anyways.

Its not the best worded or explained document I have read taken from knowledge base. Sorry 😕

• 2.  RE: Static routes, preferences, metrics & qualified-next-hop ...
    Best Answer

Posted 03-26-2015 04:28

Hi Ajaz ,

Your understanding is correct. When you have only 2 next-hop one can be configured as qualified next-hop and no requirement of preference/metric configuration.

But if you have multiple next-hops we need preference/metric because both next-hop and qualified-next-hop gets the same prefernce 5.

• 3.  RE: Static routes, preferences, metrics & qualified-next-hop ...

Posted 03-26-2015 04:33

Much appreciated Suraj.

its just such a pitty the way its documented is poor imo. it could be just me or the way my mind works. 

thanks again buddy : )