SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  dual connections into single ISP split traffic/load balance

Posted 11-02-2015 15:08

Hello,

I have a situation where I have a single ISP who has provided me with 2 connections (on same subnet).  initially I was wanting to split my internal subnets onto the ISP's such that subnet 1 is on ISP1, and subnets 2 and 3 are on ISP2.  This is how it worked at one time (before me).

The client upgraded their internet connections so that they are both the same, so I'm more interested in a load balancing setup.  So initial question was:

how to setup subnet 1 to use ISP connection 1, and subnets 2 and 3 to use ISP connection 2

But would be just as satisfied with:

how do I setup load balacing for all internal subnets to my 2 ISP connections.

Subnets 2 and 3 are routed traffic over separate wireless connections connected to the router through a single switch where the wireless bridges are routing and exist on the primary subnet (not separate vlans or interfaces on the SRX).

My two ISP connections are in the same subnet, and have the same default gateway.  This seems to present a bit of an issue, but hoping to get some insight as to how to direct traffic.

Thanks as always!

Sean Garland

Garland Tech

• 2.  RE: dual connections into single ISP split traffic/load balance

Posted 11-05-2015 08:54

Hi,

If you would like to load balance the bandwidth , you would use this article at this link :

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Day-One-Tips/SRX-CoS-configuration-example/td-p/282396

But if you want to load balance destination port or addresses , you would use FBF solution (filtering and routing instances)

• 3.  RE: dual connections into single ISP split traffic/load balance

Posted 11-05-2015 09:00

I've read a bit about the FBF solutions and they seem pretty appropriate, although with my ISP currently both my "wan" connections (two separate cable modems from local provider - 24x4 each connection) are in the same subnet, with same GW.  Is this even a supported configuration?  

The FBF solutions all discuss using the next-hop as the way to direct the traffic.  I can not do that as my "next-hop" is identical.  

I can approach the ISP and see if I can get 2 completely separate subnets, but not sure this is going to work.  Looking for some guidance on this.  I'd like to have full load balancing at this point.

Thanks

Sean Garland

Garland Tech

• 4.  RE: dual connections into single ISP split traffic/load balance
    Best Answer

Posted 11-06-2015 09:18

I spoke to my ISP and was able to get two completely different subnets for my two connections.  I think followed the configuratrion guide at http://www.mustbegeek.com/load-balance-dual-isp-internet-in-juniper-srx/ and was able to setup load balacing.

Both my ISP connections are the same speed, so splitting it in half is perfect.  And it appears (through looking at NAT sessions and interface traffic) that it's working.  

Sean Garland

Garland Tech