SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  load balancing on SRX

Posted 02-02-2010 21:12

Hi All,

I have 2 Internet Link and I would like to load balance it. Is it possible using this

root# show
    policy-statement TestLBOut {
        then {
            load-balance per-packet;
        }

}

lroot# show routing-options
    forwarding-table {
        export TestLBOut;
    }

I can, how about the routing configuration, should we use 2 Default gateway with different gateway

example

0.0.0.0/0 next-hop [10.10.10.254 20.20.20.254]

Please advice

Thanks and Regards,

Husni

• 2.  RE: load balancing on SRX

Posted 02-03-2010 09:07

jtac seems to recommend what you have, although i use:

set forwarding-options load-balance per-prefix hash-seed <seed>

see http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/per-prefix-load-balancing/m-p/33716

if you are static routing, then yes, your static routing is setup the way you have it.

• 3.  RE: load balancing on SRX

Posted 09-09-2013 02:24

I am also trying the similar scenario. But doesn not work properly. Have you guys made it work. 

In my case the traffic goes via both ISP randomly using same PC. But it doesn not work properly.

• 4.  RE: load balancing on SRX

Posted 09-09-2013 04:27

Hi,

The default load balance behavior is load balance per prefix which means if you have total 3 prefix so 1,3 will be in link 1 and prefix 2 will be on link 2

after applying this policy so you are using load balance per flow which means that all traffic with same source and destination will follow same path.

You can include also the port so your traffic is load balance flow based on 3 parameters same source/ destination and port will follow same path

so for example if u have remote destination your ping traffic may take another path than RDP traffic to same destination

you can refer to the following link also for more details

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.2/topics/usage-guidelines/policy-configuring-per-packet-load-balancing.html

Regards,

Mohamed Elhariry

JNCIE-M/T # 1059, CCNP & CCIP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution". Kudos are always appreciated!

• 5.  RE: load balancing on SRX

Posted 10-06-2013 04:21

Hi ,

Following KB article has more information:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB23417

Regards,

rparthi

• 6.  RE: load balancing on SRX

Posted 10-06-2013 13:46

Please explain what you mean when you say it does not work properly. What is your expectaion of properly or explain how you think it should work and how it is working for you.

The curent Juniper implementatioin is really load sharing. It is not a perfect round robin load balance. As one of the respondents explain it is load balanced per flow. So you will notice the shared load across both links over a period of time. So you may notice that you run your ping test and it takes one path 5 times then the next 2, then the first 2, then the secon 3, and so forth. So over  period of time with multiple flows, it eventually balance out. So it may be functioning as designed but not as you expect. And of course, if BGP is being used, then it acts differently as explained by the respondent to your question.