SRX Services Gateway
Contributor
a_2X4

mount usb

I am needing to mount a usb drive on an SRX210. I put it in USB0 and wait for the device to finish with the messages. I have compared an ls of /dev before the insertion to an ls of /dev after. The only difference is the appearance of pass1 and pass2. /dev/da1 does appear for a minute, but disappears after a error message. I cannot get the drive to mount no matter what I try. On the EX series, I mount the drive as /dev/da1s0 often and without trouble.

root@SRX210% mount -t msdosfs /dev/pass1s0 /var/tmp/usb/
mount_msdosfs: /dev/pass1s0: No such file or directory

root@SRX210% ls /dev
bo0s1a          da0             gblmem          nfs4            stdout
bo0s1c          da0s1           geom.ctl        nfslock         ttyu0
bo0s1e          da0s1a          gpio            null            ttyu0.init
bo0s1f          da0s1c          klog            octpkt          ttyu0.lock
bpf0            da0s1e          kmem            pass0           urandom
cfi0            da0s1f          log             pass1           usb
console         da1             md0             pci             usb0
cpld            devctl          md1             random          veriexec
ctty            devstat         md2             rtfifo          xpt0
cuau0           fd              md3             smb             zero
cuau0.init      fido            mdctl           stderr
cuau0.lock      fileassoc       mem             stdin

root@SRX210% mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s0/ /var/tmp/us(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): lost device
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): removing device entry
Opened disk da1 -> 6

Anybody had similar happen to them? I'm sure that I can't mount it because of the error, but I don't know what would cause the error. Like I said, it works fine on EX switches.

Contributor
amjain

Re: mount usb

What is the make of the USB drive? It might be that the USB key is incompatible with the host controller hardware on the SRX branch box. You may want to try same or another USB key freshly formated on a Windows machine with FAT16 (if <=2GB) or FAT32 (if >= 4GB).

Officially supported USB drives are from Sandisk and Unigen. Other drives known to work fine are from Transcend, Kingston and Lexar.

From the error message it looks like you get the CAM error even before you execute the mount command. Is that so? If that is the case, it means that JUNOS is not able to read the partition information from the USB key.

Regards

Contributor
a_2X4

It is an SanDisk 8GB. I don't want to try it or another one after formatting. This one is known to work on other Juniper devices and has GBs of data on it.

The annoying part is that JUNOS is able to read the partition info; that is, JUNOS on MX and EX, but not JUNOS on SRX. It pisses me off that Juniper continues to mess up such simple things.

Anybody know if this is fixed in a release after 10.0R3? Not that upgrading will be as easy as it should be.

Recognized Expert
wimclend

it doesn't have U3 installed on it, does it?  I think the release notes say explicitly that it won't recognize a USB drive with any kind of U3 garbage on it.

KB12880 might help

i've found it i easiest to just be consoled into the box, then insert the USB drive, then you should see the messages about it seeing the drive, and what label it is and can go from there.

good luck

Contributor
a_2X4

It does have U3 on it. I am plugged into the console and am watching the output. The SRX does recongize the drive as a U3 SanDisk and errors out CAM.

The drive works and the partition mounts fine on EX and MX. This is not a USB drive to JUNOS issue. It is a USB drive to SRX issue. Juniper is breaking functionality with the newer release. Whether it is a change in hardware that is causing it or changing JUNOS code that is causing it, I don't know. But Juniper needs to fix it, and they can go ahead and enable functionality of  "show interface diagnostics optics" while their at it.

I'll wait for Juniper to respond that it is working.

Contributor
amjain

JUNOS 9.6 or earlier do not have support for Sandisk 8GB at least on SRX branch platform due to a quirk with the USB key (I am not sure about other JUNOS platforms). This USB stick was qualified for JUNOS 10.0 R3 and later.

Also, U3 partition is not supported by either J-series or SRX as pointed in earlier post.

Regards

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.