SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  strange behavior with SRX 240 mPIM.

Posted 11-29-2015 03:26

hi team,

am having difficulty with 5km link between srx 240s. the ports of the SRX are recieving -17 & 16dBm on both sides. the fuuny thing is the ports come up some times and other times they dont come up. i have tested the physical fiber and even run SDH BER test for 17hrs and there was no single bit loss. when the ports come up, i experience heavy packet loss on the link. the mPIMs am using are 1gig-high-perf pims and the SFPs are 10km srx sfps. i have changed the SFPs on this link and even chanhed the patchcords. 

what could be causing the ports to go on/off?? the two srx are not running the same junos version. 

one is running : JUNOS Software Release [12.1X44-D20.3]

the other : JUNOS Software Release [12.1X46-D35.1]

this are the 2 interface configs:

SRXA

show interfaces ge-2/0/0
    mtu 8092;
    hold-time up 2000 down 0;
    unit 0 {
        description TO_PT-SRX240;
        family inet {
            address 41.79.8.61/30;
        }
        family iso;
        family mpls {
            mtu 8000;
        }
    }

SRX B

show interfaces ge-1/0/0
    mtu 8092;
    hold-time up 2000 down 0;
    unit 0 {
        description TO_ED-SRX240;
        family inet {
            mtu 1500;
            inactive: address 41.79.8.55/31;
            address 41.79.8.62/30;
        }
        family iso;
        family mpls {
            mtu 8000;
        }
    }

when i check the interface statistics for both SRXs , i see alot of input framing errors especially on srxB interface.

what could be the issue here??

Thanks ,

Lish.

• 2.  RE: strange behavior with SRX 240 mPIM.
    Best Answer

Posted 12-23-2015 04:50

I resolved this. the issue was on the physical cable, there was asmall section of 30 meters that was having -7dB loss. this was causing the ports to go on/off. even though the RX power was within the threshold (-17dB, lowest sfp port can handle was -23dB), that 30 meter section was sometimes just loosing too much power hence causing ports to go on/off. even if the the interface shows up physicaly and looks stable, you might experience packet loss on the link. happened to me, very frustrating. 

my advice: just make sure you are on the right link budget loss. dont assume even if the ports are coming up. in my case -7dB loss on 30 meters section wasnt acceptable. 

Sheeel.