SSL VPN
Contributor
Krilnis

AVG 8 Free Edition failing security check since updating ESAP to 1.4.0

Platform: SA4000

IVE: 6.2R1 (Build 13255)

ESAP: 1.4.0

I'm using AVG 8.0 Free Edition (8.0.138).

When we were using ESAP 1.3.9, I could pass Host Checker's security check and sign in to our VPN. But since we updated the ESAP to 1.4.0, I now cannot pass the security check, with the Reason string saying, "Compliance requires latest virus definition files." Nothing else has changed on the VPN, and my AVG virus definitions are current.

I've noticed the Reason string also says: "AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0.134 does not comply with policy." However, my AVG is version 8.0.138.

I had auto-remediation turned on. AVG would repeatedly check for updates until I closed the browser, so I turned it off for AVG. Auto-remeditation is a nice feature, but it should only try it once.

I'd like to get this to work since we recommend AVG to our sales reps, because it's free and up until now has been trouble-free.

I have gone back to ESAP 1.3.9, but I'd like to keep current.

Any ideas?

Contributor
Chudel

Re: AVG 8 Free Edition failing security check since updating ESAP to 1.4.0

I have two users with this problem (most don't use AVG).  One of the users was able to get the problem to go away by applying the following Windows hotfix, Windows6.0-KB929547-v2-x86.msu.

Can you tell me how you get the reason string to display? I have a customized reason string with help for users but never do I see the actual reason the VPN thinks it is failing, ie: "AVG ... does not comply with policy"

Visitor
aners

Same issue here with xp pro user.had to return back to esap 1.3.9

Aner

New User
MJUI

We have the same problem here.  I've been working with support for a few weeks now.  The only thing that they can recommend is  reinstalling AVG.  This seems to have worked for the users that have tried it.  This is a really lousy "solution" and does not give me any faith in Juniper moving forward.  Next year we'll be looking at replacing all of our switches and possibly our firewall.  I'm not sure we will consider Juniper for any more products.
Visitor
Mercy_Mark

I tried 1.4.0 and AVG stopped passing the host checker.  So we reverted back to 1.3.9.  Now I updated to 1.4.1 and the issue is still present.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Many of our users have AVG and I can't see reinstalling as a fix although it does work.
Contributor
Krilnis

I just updated to ESAP 1.4.2 (it came out yesterday), and AVG 8 Free Edition is working now for me. We are also using IVE 6.3R1.1, though I don't think that makes a difference (it didn't help with 1.4.0 and 1.4.1).

The Release Notes make no mention of changes to AVG support.

Contributor
Chudel

This is just horrible.

I needed to upgrade to ESAP 1.4.3 because Total Protection and Norton360 AV fixes/support were finally there, but now AVG (free) is broken - AGAIN.   I have some users loading 3 AV products on their system just so they can try and login (which I'm sure breaks all sorts of other stuff).

I don't know how hard it can be to at least provide some actual detailed information into what is going into these ESAP releases.  Calling in for support where the debuglog.log is insufficient and I have to get an already irate user to "bring in your laptop" (nevermind desktops) so we can have hit/miss support times is just so frustrating.

Running 6.3R1-2.

ESAP 1.4.2.

Is it just me or has this product support really deteriorated in the past year?

drl
Visitor
drl

We also upgraded to ESAP 1.4.3 and within minutes began receiving calls from users with AVG 8 Free unable to logon.  We reverted back to 1.4.2 for now.
Contributor
Krilnis

AVG 8 Free Edition appears to be working with ESAP 1.4.5. I believe it is also working in 1.4.4.

It's interesting that they haven't made any mention of AVG in the release notes for the last few releases.

Contributor
Chudel

Where/how do you get 1.4.5?  I only see 1.4.4. available still.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.