SSL VPN
Contributor
Tessian

Allowing cookies through web rewrite

Currently running 6.2R5 in production.

Does anyone know if/where it's possible to allow cookies on a site you're web rewriting through the IVE?  I'm using it to basically reverse proxy a website (to make it both secure and to avoid putting it on the internet directly) and the web programmers are asking to permit cookies where they've added a feature for users to save their username for future sign ins. I found options to allow persistent cookies for the IVE itself, but don't see any for allowing cookies through a rewritten website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,

Moderator Moderator
ruc

Re: Allowing cookies through web rewrite

Have you enabled the role level option? (admin UI > Role > Web > Options > Persistent cookie)

Background: When an application is accessed via the rewrite engine the cookies will not be stored on users browser, however if above option is enabled it will be stored on the SA itself. However this should be transparent to most web based application servers as when they recieve htp requests the cookie will be automatically sent to them by the SA and similarly it should also be transparent to any client side code that relies on cookies. In case your app has issues even with above option enabled then you can try one of the below:

1. Configure pass through proxy access method (and enable the option to send cookies to client browser)

2.  Open a JTAC case and they can investigate why the app is not working via rewrite engine. 

Contributor
Tessian

Thanks for the reply Ruc-- I found that option but I'm pretty sure it's talking about the IVE's cookies, isn't it?  But it is in the Web options... I do have it enabled but I don't think it's working.  If that is supposed to allow it then I'll have to open a ticket
Moderator Moderator
ruc

The IVE related cookies are controlled by the option under Config > Security. The Role level web options is for backend app cookies. With that option enabled I browsed to http://www.juniper.net. Then from end user IVE toolbar I went Preferences > Advanced and I see the below message.

"The server is maintaining 8 cookies from various Web sites. Cookies are small files used by some Web sites to save your preferences and settings. You can remove them if you prefer to do so, but note that doing so may cause some Web sites to reset your preferences and settings."

If you want to test this for your application then delete all cookies from Preferences > Advanced (end user UI)  and browse to your application and see if cookies get created.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.