SSL VPN
Visitor
stevew

Enabling SFP Ports on SA-6000

Hello,

Although I inserted the SFP GBICs in our two SA-6000 units (internal port only), these ports are not displayed in Admin Console, under System -> Network.

How do I "enable" these ports ? Do I need a special license ?

We are using 6.0R3.1 (build 12507).

Regards,

-steve w.
Contributor
Kevin

Re: Enabling SFP Ports on SA-6000

I use them.  Just plug them in.  No need to enable them and no special license is needed.
Visitor
stevew

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. In my case, the GBIC is plugged in. No LEDs will display and it is connected to a LAN switch port (no shut).

Which OS version are you using ?
Does your Admin Console display an extra Tab for that SFP port ?

Regards,
-steve w.
Juniper Employee
Felipe

Hello Steve,

SPF ports are mainly for interface bonding where it fails-over to this port when the internal port goes dead or has issues automatically.

As per my test results, there is no confgurable tab in the network configuration for this port as opposed to the documentation,

(I have filed docs review for this).

In my tests, I used the Copper RJ-45 GBIC.

The link light ONLY comes up if the switch it is plugged into is set to 1Gbit/s speed and NOT AUTO.  When the LED comes up, then in the Admin network status, you will see the following:

Left Port = Green (Left Port Connected & Active)    Right port = Gray (Right Port Connected)

Removing Internal Port cable = Left port turns RED (Left port not connected) and Right port turns GREEN (Right Port Connected & Active)Plugging the internal port cable just changes the status of the Admin UI for Left port to GRAY (Left Port Connected), no automatic failover to Internal Port occurs UNTIL the GBIC fails (or disconnects)

Hope this  helps.

Regards,

Felipe

Contributor
Kevin

Felipe,

Are you saying that the SPF ports are not intended to be used for primary connectivity?  Mine seem to work perfectly - I've been using them for several years on my SA-6000s.  I connect mine to a WS-X6408A-GBIC blade in a 6500.  These gig ports default to auto-negotiate, and mine are left that way. 

So, what is Juniper's official stance on SPF ports?  Should we use them or not?

Thanks!

Kevin

Juniper Employee
Felipe

Kevin,

I also tested this with just GBIC during boot up with the internal port disconnected and it works perfectly as you mentioned.   I am not sure if there is any documentation stating you cannot use this as primary port so I cannot answer that right now but I can ask and post back reply later.

Thank you!

zanyterp

Kevin wrote:

Felipe,

Are you saying that the SPF ports are not intended to be used for primary connectivity?  Mine seem to work perfectly - I've been using them for several years on my SA-6000s.  I connect mine to a WS-X6408A-GBIC blade in a 6500.  These gig ports default to auto-negotiate, and mine are left that way. 

So, what is Juniper's official stance on SPF ports?  Should we use them or not?

Thanks!

Kevin

Sorry for answering such a late post, but it's not clear if you received an answer: yes, the SPF ports were not designed for use as primary connectivity but failover. If you don't have anything else plugged in, they will be used; they are also in no way configurable and, as I understand it, should inherit settings from the Ethernet-based config you can see
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.