SSL VPN
jub
Visitor
jub

Error Message "Connection attempt timed out (nc.windows.app.23704)"

I found error message "Connection attempt timed out (nc.windows.app.23704)", when I use NC connect to IVE.

I have also checked at IVE, the IP address has released from box already. But client dosn't have it.  So, I have tried to fixed this problem by installation new NC. the question is how can solve this problem without new installation.

Thank you guys.

jub

Trusted Expert
SSHSSH

Re: Error Message "Connection attempt timed out (nc.windows.app.23704)"

I got the following from juniper knowledge base , you can try it :

Users cannot launch Network Connect; instead they receive nc.windows.app.23704 or nc.windows.app.23712 errors.

Problem or Goal:

This issue can occur when Network Connect cannot configure the Adapter.

Solution:

There are three common possible causes for these errors:
  1. Media Sense is disabled
    The easiest way to check if Media Sense has been disabled is to open up a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" when Network Connect is not connected. If you see the Media State parameter then Media Sense should still be enabled.

Ethernet adapter Network Connect Adapter:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Juniper Network Connect Virtual Adapter - Juniper Network Agent Miniport
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-08-50-06-89

If Media Sense has been disabled then Network Connect will have an IP address in the 169 range or an IP from your last successful connection.

Ethernet adapter Network Connect Adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Juniper Network Connect Virtual Adapter - Juniper Network Agent Miniport
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-08-50-06-89
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.X.X.X.
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : X.X.X.X
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.200.200.200

You can re-enable it by going to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters and change DisableDHCPMediaSense (dword) key from 1 to 0. By default Media Sense is enabled on all XP machines and so if you do not find DisableDHCPMediaSense, then you can usually assume that Media Sense is turned on.
  2. DHCP Client Service is disabled
    You can re-enable it by going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
  3. A client firewall/antivirus is blocking Network Connect
jub
Visitor
jub

Thank you for your answer, I will try by your recommend. If have any progress, I will update you soon.

New User
juniper_NC

Hi Jub,

Did you get to fix the issue of 23704

Thanks

Contributor
tmull60

Was anyone able to resolve this issue.? I am seeing the issue. One thin I did notice is the issue seems to occur for clients that are closed out due to session inactivity and then the user tries to log back in without rebooting their computer. I think the IP address is not being released on the local client so the next time the user tries to connect Network Connet cannot launch.

The computer then freezes and the user has to force the computer offline.

zanyterp

Typically there is something not allowing access successful; generally the client logs are the best option to troubleshoot

Is there anything specific you can see?

Contributor
tmull60

Nothing really stands out in the logs. I have a few users who are reporting similar behavior when the computer goes to sleep for a period of time while being connect. When they try to connect after waking the machine up, network connect crashes and cannot connect to the SA box.

Our idle timeout is 12 hours, but does that same time period hold true for sessions that are disconnect by the user just shutting down or going into stand-bye/hibernation?

zanyterp

Yes, the idle timeout is for a period of time in which there is no traffic from the user. When the user shuts down their PC or goes into sleep/hibernate, that does nothing to the IVE session: it is still live. That session will remain up until the idle timeout is reached.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.